Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Hit DVL reopening day (7-27)

Default Hit DVL reopening day (7-27)

Hey gang,

Decided to hit DVL on reopening day. Didn't get there till the crack of noon to about 10 trailers in the parking lot. I guess every one had already left for good reason. It was 107 degrees. The water looked great. No sign of any kind of algae and no sign of any anglers either. I saw four boats all day. Two rentals from a distance and a couple bass boats flying by probably to get some cool blown air. I did mention it was hot, but I got to reiterate my point again. At one point I had what looked like a buzzard circling above the boat. That's about the time I took an extra big gulp of the water I had on board.

THE FISHING WASNT BAD. One stop I rolled on was a fish a cast..literally. Either you caught a fish or got bit each cast. Problem was the bass were mostly eight inches. Did get a few 16-17 inch units. Really no secret technique or tactic. I was throwing the dropshot on points...cover being a bonus. Being the bass pro I am (wink,wink) I did come to a conclusion that at least sounds like it makes sense. The best points had brush and the fish seemed to be piled up on the shaded side of the point. So the top of the point was 20 something feet in depth dropping down to forty feet or so and the fish were sitting in the drop opposite the sun side with a lot of stickups down below ( and helluva lot of snags and gear lost).

One thing I realized is that I am sure if your an early bird, the a.m. bite I'm sure is good and it's a great way to beat the heat. I also noticed at about three or so when the winds pickup it makes for a nice cooling effect. Heck, this time of year it's all about trying to beat the heat. Get there early, hang low at high noon, and then reenergize when the afternoon winds pick up...and at the end of the day have an ice cold something waiting for you.

All in all, DVL is still a nice, relaxing place to fish. Sure it's hot, but no combat fishing jockeying for spots. No jet skies, ski boats, parasails, submarines, swimmers, rock throwers, etc. Pretty pleasant experience

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    No jet skies, ski boats, parasails, submarines, swimmers, rock throwers, etc.
    Great report. But with the lack of the guys you mentioned above, your streak of saving wary boaters and swimmers might end.

All in all, DVL is still a nice, relaxing place to fish. Sure it's hot, but no combat fishing jockeying for spots. No jet skies, ski boats, parasails, submarines, swimmers, rock throwers, ... You forgot to mention the millennial Frog Men that feed on the subconscious psyche of mankind and respect nothing.

Nice to hear things are getting back to normal,thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic

Great to hear Rod. At least you got to pull on a few.
    The heat can be unbearable on DVL when it gets going for sure.
    Keep at it and you'll find the bigger ones. I'd guess early shallow and then move out to deeper as the day goes on. Typical summer patterns should be starting to work.

Thanks for the report! I live near the lake and have been avoiding it as of late due to the heat....also because I work weekdays and only have weekends available.
    I'll be out there soon!

Rod,
    Hope to see you out there in the fall