Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: first timer

Default first timer

i`ve never fished Skinner, was thinking about launching my pontoon there this Saturday. How early should you be there ? Do they get a big line on weekends ?
    I figured Perris or Silverwood will be a zoo with this heat.

Hoping to troll for striper, any tips ? I caught a few at silverwood on krocodile spoons and drifting cut anchovies. Hoping to get my grandson on some fish.

TIA
    Bill

The line doesn’t get as bad as Perris or DVL. I would still suggest to get there about 30 min prior to opening time. Just call and ask what time they open. For stripers, I would suggest for baiting and waiting use sardines or chicken liver. Get both, if not chicken liver should be good enough. Try around the inlet, I would also suggest (because of the heat) maybe anchor a little down from the running water (not too far in the morning) and flyline some bait. But because there are so many weeds and grass that will get caught on your bait, let it run down with the running water for a good thirty seconds or so to a minute and slowly reel it back. Also, make sure you have a top water or a jerkbait tied on to another rod in case they boil around you.
    My son and I went a few days ago for an evening session from 5-7 and caught only one largemouth and one striper. The striper was caught on a boil. After that, we had to go home. Don’t give up, if you have a sonar, use it. If you don’t, find points and throw some jerkbait around, you might make them rise.

With this heat, I cannot see myself grinding it down. But for sure having a great time with the kids are always awesome. Some advice, the largemouth are coming up shallow for the finesse bite, and I am noticing the stripers Chasing baby bass around.

Good luck out there.

Oh, the inlet is still running towards the east, and water level have gone down. So be careful out there.
    Last edited by Jhondayang; 07-23-2018 at 11:10 PM.

thanks for the info, thinking maybe i will wait till the weather cools down a bit.