Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Live Glass Shrimp Rig For Mullets!

Default Live Glass Shrimp Rig For Mullets!

How To Catch Live Shrimp To Rig For Mullets!

Trying to catch mullets to me is one of the most challenging forms of fishing there is! One day it's easy, the next week not a single one even though they're jumping all around me. The easiest way is using gill nets (first check your local fishing regulations) or grabbing a spear guns with diving gear. But to use hook & line? For mullet?

This slightly different variation permits you to use not only live bait but a type of bait holder hook that can secure baits with sickles on the shaft. The obvious difficulties is catching the right live bait. I watch mullets suck in clumps of algae, then spit it out. They are filtering out the nutrients needed, this is one of the grazing techniques the fish uses to feed. The other problem is the leader line. Mullets shy away from thick line. Also using thinner line means the power of the Mullet can easily snap a thinner line if the angler isn't using a long enough rod with the right ratings.

Also mullets are picky about feeding time. I've watched them long enough over the years to learn. Nothing. I've hooked them just throwing bread out while other times they totally ignore the bread. I've accidentally hooked them on spoons like Kastmasters to plugs. When i'm tired of fishing for species that i commonly catch i'll try my hand at Mullets so i can humble myself to be craftier then the fish. Usually fails.

This rig using live shrimp does work. The anglers in Surabaya taught me this style when i was traveling across Asia for rare Mollusks. There's another style but i'll need to jury rig it as it's store bought in Indonesia & not available in the states. Any small live or dead bait will work using this rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvwfDge59SI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mullet Rig.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	51356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shrimp O'pae.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	51357  

Nice vid Chris,I once saw a couple of guys in LB California come in on thier boat and they had caught about 20 nice sized mullets,I asked them what they were using for bait,but they wouldn’t tell me,ha! Glad to see your wrist is on the mend take care Brah.

Cya Tuna Vic

Yup, catching Mullets differ on areas & species. I was shown another way in Indonesia that i want to share but i need to construct the rig. It's commonly sold in Surabaya but not in the States. I have to develop one. I had to limp into this site because of the heavy scabbing on my injured leg. Even after i re-taped my wrist it was still painful even to bring in a baby shark. Kinda pushed it but made enough raw vids to produce 2 Vids that day. I'll be posting the other one in a hour. Mahalo Vic:)