Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Lake

Default Crystal Lake

Anyone been there recently or should I say is it still a lake ? Check out these old pics I found of it, don't know the date but it was shoulder to shoulder fishing back then.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan63.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	51354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan64.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	51355
    Last edited by old pudd fisher; 07-21-2018 at 11:36 PM.

It may be only a mud puddle now due to the long drought.

old pudd fisher,

I was curious as to where Crystal Lake was located because I was not familiar with it. Here is what Wikipedia says about it:

Crystal Lake

Basin countries United States
    Average depth 10.7 m (35 ft)
    Max. depth 45.7 m (150 ft)
    Surface elevation 1,677 m (5,502 ft)
    References U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Crystal Lake

Crystal Lake is a naturally formed lake, a rarity in Southern California. It is snow and spring fed and has no other artificial means of being replenished. Geographically it sits in a bed of decomposed granite. There is a fissure located at the bottom of the lake that depletes its water during and after the rain and snow season. Because of this, the lake's depths vary dramatically from a mean low of 35 feet (10.7 m) to a probable high of 150 feet (45.7 m), depending on seasonal precipitation.

The Lake is settled neatly in a bowl below the granite crags surrounding Mount Hawkins. In the past, the lake had amenities for picnickers, anglers, and swimmers. In 1969, a severe rainy season flooded the restrooms on the shoreline, and the water became contaminated to the point that the swimming facilities were closed. Subsequent rainy seasons flooded the small cabin that served as a summer residence for concessionaires who operated a snack stand from the lower level and patio, and by 1990 the facility was demolished.

Over the past four decades, budgeting has limited the Forest Service's ability to maintain the lake and its feeder pipeline. Then years of drought reduced the lake’s water levels which continued microbiological contamination of the water, putting it off limits to any type of swimming at all.

Following a good rainy season, the lake may be stocked with fish, typically rainbow trout from the government hatcheries. Despite high or low water levels, flocks of people line the lake to fish each summer. In the past the concessionaires provided boat rentals from a small dock that was attached to cables that ran onto shore. The dock could be raised and lowered during the year with the varying levels of the water. It was removed after the 1969 rains.

As of July 2018 severe drought in California has nearly dried out Crystal Lake. It would take several years of El Nino type weather to add any significant amount of water to the lake. Swimming in the lake has been banned due to environmental and health issues involved with stagnant water.

Heard a guy named Jason Voorhees frequents that place.

Thanks Bassin that was interesting to read, I remember how it was in the 50s and 60s. Was going to take a drive up there to check it out but not if Jason Voorhees is hangin out .

Cool pics,I remember going there many,many years ago. Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic

Yes, interesting but sad.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Thanks Bassin that was interesting to read, I remember how it was in the 50s and 60s. Was going to take a drive up there to check it out but not if Jason Voorhees is hangin out .
    Actually Friday the 13th was filmed in the mountains on the way up there. Crystal Lake in the film was a small pond temporairly built near that barn at the site. It is long dry now. Even the dock is mostly gone. Crystal lake as we all know is further up the road another 5 or 6 miles.

Crystal.
    Key word on that turd hole.
    Home to some dank *** **** !

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Crystal.
    Key word on that turd hole.
    Home to some dank *** **** !
    Lets make it a skate park for the homeless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast