Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perris Lake Madness July 15th...wow

Default Perris Lake Madness July 15th...wow

Hey gang,

I know, I know avoid Perris on summer weekends, but decided to head out late on Sunday to avoid the....ahhh,,,urghhh,,,,party. Hit the water to a madhouse. Parking lot practically full and tents lined up launch ramp to launch ramp. Noticed as i was pushing off i was getting a lot of eyeball attention. I suspect most were thinking, "what an idiot". I sort of got that feeling as well with the jet ski Olympics going on and the blazing heat. I sort of considered a trade...take my fishing boat and an agreed upon sum of money for a jet ski for an hour swap. But the guys on the skiis seamed to be having way to much fun.

In my infinite wisdom I headed for the dam to get some of that early evening shade with the sun behind the dam. Some where, some place Pete Marino is reading this and must be thinking," After all that Intel on the tree line and this guy goes to the dam". Halfway there a see someone frantically waving 50 yards past the swim beach buoy line. I Initually think it's one of the bathing beauties that regularly frequent Perris saying hello, but that never happens to me, It doesn't take long for me to get back to reality to realize it's a guy drowning hanging on for dear life to a sinking kayak with only the kayak point sticking out. The guy with no life jacket and fully clothed, tennis shoes included, had headed out in a borrowed kayak and was blowing out in to big lake and hanging on to what little of his kayak was still afloat. I Picked him up and towed in the yak. Guy did offer me free beers for my trouble, but I don't drink......but I probably should start to ease my fishing frustrations.

Start working the dam with a deep diving crank, minding my own business, when I notice a three headed object skimming across the water surface from about 100 yards out mid dam. I wasnt sure if I had discovered Nessie, a three headed duck, or what it was. As the shapes get closer it's a guy and two dogs on a swim. The guy must be a helluva swimmer because they were way off shore and right in the line of fire of ski boats, jet skis, etc. The guy and both dogs made it in w/o being killed and took off. Wonder how long u til we read about his demise. Decided the spot was probably toast with a swimmer and dogs trugging through so tried a few more spots for nothing.

The Cruz of the whole write up is all the new rules Perris has instituted with the high water. They hand you a hand Bill upon entry and it stresses "You have been warned". So evidently if you drown, get killed swimming in a non swimming area, or jet ski beyond jet ski hours like the pack of jet skies that buzzed me an hour after they were supposed to be off the water your liable.

As for the fishng, it was hot as he ll and lousy. Avoid the place on weekends at all costs. And maybe consider investing in a jet ski or hiring a guide cause I sure couldn't give you any useful intel on this day.
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 07-18-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    Some where, some place Pete Marino is reading this and must be thinking," After all that Intel on the tree line and this guy goes to the dam".
    Great post and outstanding job on helping out that yakker. While I know I am not on par with Pete, I can also attest that the dam has just not been the same as in years past, even with all the new water. Definitely have to hit those trees and rocks in that east end.

Great report. Most people never have the opportunity to save a life. Awesome.

Thanks for the report/warning! Great job out there!

HuskerRod,

Good show all around! I 've been dying to hit Perris again now the water has come up more; but, I can't bring myself to join all the crazies!

Haha.. The Dam..really? Haha...
    Good job on your good deed... That guy is lucky you were there..
    As for the weekend.. If you go on a weekend you get there by 6 and get out by 930. Avoid the hell..
    As for the fishing.. that's about as on par as the dam has been on any given day.. the dam is extremely up and down mostly down.. Summer fishing on the dam normally produces 5-7" summer baby bass..
    It's all about the trees.. I was there today and we had 12 bass and 8 were keepers 15" or bigger but it was a complete grind but it's getting better... As the reaction bite and worm bites are both picking up.. we had about 3-4 missed opportunities as well.. fyi... All were deep tree fish today..
    Don't give up on Perris.. Just don't go during Zoo hours..
    Last edited by Pete Marino; 07-18-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Good job on saving the guy on the yak. I yak but I always were my life jacket which is a self inflating one.

In your defense a lot of the areas Pete suggested are in the weekend warriors battle zones. It's best to avoid the weekends at all costs during the summer at Perris with the high water level.

The lake is reborn with the high water level. I'd imagine Pete has already noticed the shift in the bass behavior as far as the areas they haunt. I'd imagine as they explore the lake they'll shift into more favorable areas for them as time goes on. I'm thinking they're still in the dazed and confused stage.

Best report from the ole Perris in a while.

HuskerRod, why does it seem you're always saving someone when you're on the water?

Rod, your killin me dude ! lol !

Rod,
    LMK when you want to drink I got some homebrew on tap:) Good on you recognizing danger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast