Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Lake Sabrina - This week's report - 7-16-18

Default Lake Sabrina - This week's report - 7-16-18

Lake Sabrina Boat Landing
    760-873-7425
    July 16, 2018

ALWAYS BRING A JACKET & PANTS TO THE LAKE!

SLOW DOWN – THE DEER ARE ON THE MOVE!!!

Remember when I said the Lake was plum full – well it wasn’t – but it was on Friday the 13th with the Lake coming up over the block wall down by the boats. The boat crew was wading thru about 3 inches of water to get to the ramps which were also under water. Where’d all the water come from you may ask? That would be from the ThunderBoomers we had on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The Lake received about a half an inch of rain in about 15 minutes on Wednesday and with intermittent showers on Tuesday and Thursday all that water in the backcountry came down DingleBerry, Little George and George Creeks to fill the Lake. Only had a 20% chance of rain on those days and then on Friday and Saturday with a 60% chance of rain, we received about 8 drops – go figure – that’s why it’s so hard when you ask the forecast, we can’t really give you a definitive answer. Looks like the trees got a good drink as we received almost 5 inches of rain last week.

No other way to say it, fishing is a bit on the slow side. The Inlets are doing the best (as there’s cool water and food coming in) with NightCrawlers, Salmon Eggs and Mice Tails doing the work. Also, old school fishing brought in a few limits – old school you ask – trolling a Dave Davis with a NightCrawler. Some others did catch fish drifting the rock piles.

Gloria Bustamante caught her first fish ever here at Lake Sabrina. Ernie Ernie Rodriguez used a Mice Tail to bring in a 1-1/2 pound Rainbow. Brian Kan used NightCrawlers to land a 2 pounder. And Brice Uyeda once again made the report catching a 2 pounder along with a 2-3/4 pounder using Salmon Eggs and NightCrawlers (can you guess where we got our info). Department of Fish and Game brought us fish on Tuesday.

Lots more trees, bushes and flowers - The mahoganys are going to seed - a very interesting seed to say the least. The Douglas Fir down on the grassy area also has some fascinating looking pine cones. The Douglas’s Spiraea is showing off its pink flowers. And the BlackBerries are blooming!!!

People, sure would be nice if y’all would pick up your trash when you leave. It’s really not that hard. Just sayin! If you need something to put it in, come into the store and we’ll give you a bag.

We may get a bit of smoke (depending on how the wind blows) due to a fire in Yosemite called the Ferguson Fire in Mariposa County which started Saturday and grew at 150 acres by the afternoon. As of Monday morning, the fire had grown to 9,266 acres. There are road closures:
    Highway 140- North of Mariposa
    Highway 140- Foresta Bridge to Briceburg
    River Road from Briceburg to the gate at Railroad Flat and all campground areas
    Hites Cover Road from Beat Clover Road to the Merced River
    Visitors to Yosemite National Park will have to use alternative routes through Highway 120 or 41.

There is also one-way traffic control on State Route 41 leading up to Yosemite National Park due to tree removal from the burn scar left from last fall's Railroad Fire.

Now for the weather. Don’t have a clue. One forecast show a 30% chance of ThunderBoomers and rain thru Friday then just a chance of ThunderBoomers thru the weekend. Another forecast shows an 80% chance of rain and ThunderBoomers thru Saturday then we drop to 60% on Monday. Even our local weatherguesser Howard is saying the monsoons will be ramping up at the end of the week. Temps are about the same in both forecasts 0- You can check out the forecast for the week at www.weather.gov (enter Aspendell, CA in the search and scroll down to see the temps).

And the hiking conditions:
    Our backcountry protectors are out in force – the Skeeters – be prepared. Also, be prepared for ThunderBoomers and downpours – it’s the monsoonal season.

If you’re hiking stay safe out there. Remember to leave a note about your destination and approximate return time and a clothing description. And please hike with a buddy!

Things to do when you’re not at the Lake:

7/28/18 - GOLF FUN DAY! - PRIZES! FOOD! FUN!
    Everyone is invited to join the Bishop Chamber of Commerce for our fifth annual golfing fun day at Bishop Country Club!
    Not your typical tournament format! Each hole will feature a different golf game with prizes at each hole. Everyone entered will receive entry into the BIG Raffle.
    Everyone welcome...members, non-members, great golfers & hackers, too!
    For more information, or to register contact April (760)873-8405 or email april@bishopvisitor.com

All Aboard!
    A visit to Laws Railroad Museum and Historical Village is always a treat, but come on a day the train is running and it'll be extra special!
    https://www.lawsmuseum.org

Important stuff that just stays in the report for a bit:
    The Skeeter population is ramping up again! Plan accordingly!

PRIVATE BOATER: Please don’t overload your boats – it causes us great distress!!! USE YOUR NOGGIN!

Spoke to the local Department of Fish and WildLife Game Warden regarding fisherpeople needing to have their own stringers and up to five fish per stringer. His response is – “It is highly recommended, but not required, but everyone better be present if I’m checking”.

If you catch a big fish or a limit just to have your picture taken for the webpage and then try and give your fish away – we won’t post your picture, but then again we may post it as ‘WASTER OF A PERFECTLY GOOD FISH TO EAT’! Crimp down your barbs, take a picture on the boat and release it for another day.

When using the bug juice or hand sanitizer or sunscreen or lotion or cologne or perfume, try not to get it on your hands – you’ll transfer it to your bait and the fish just don’t like any of that foo-foo stuff. Wash your hands in the stream or Lake to get it off, and then use some fish attractant on your hands.

Make sure you wear some kind of sun protection – the sun and reflection off the water will do a number on your skin and eyeballs!

Juanita, Rick, Patti, Dwayne, Jamin, Bob and Cullen

Thanks for the post and info.

I am coming up with my family (Monday the 22nd) for the week. We were going to tent camp along the west walker but I am reevaluating due to air-quality issues (smoke from the Fergeson Fire). My kids like camping near streams, and I like fly fishing in streams, so places like Devil's Postpile (San Joaqin River) or Rock Creek are possibilities, along with North Lake. I read in previous post the mosquitos are bad around Sabrina. Are they still bad? Two of my kids react badly to bites. (I realize that camping next to streams is a hazard for kids who swell up bad from bites, but they love streams... what to do?)

Any intel or recommendations? We have hotel reservation for Bishop Sunday night, and then can go wherever it looks good Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by river-z View Post

I am coming up with my family (Monday the 22nd) for the week. We were going to tent camp along the west walker but I am reevaluating due to air-quality issues (smoke from the Fergeson Fire). My kids like camping near streams, and I like fly fishing in streams, so places like Devil's Postpile (San Joaqin River) or Rock Creek are possibilities, along with North Lake. I read in previous post the mosquitos are bad around Sabrina. Are they still bad? Two of my kids react badly to bites. (I realize that camping next to streams is a hazard for kids who swell up bad from bites, but they love streams... what to do?)

Any intel or recommendations? We have hotel reservation for Bishop Sunday night, and then can go wherever it looks good Monday morning.
    Forks campground cleanest bathrooms in the sierras. If you are tent camping. Awesome! Hope you can get a spot at the top of the campground lots of shade there. I was there last weekend and caught lots of stockers in the creek that runs thru the campground. I worked hard to catch them tho. Don’t be afraid to walk in the water and fish the hard to reach pools. Oh. And I got a few mosquito bites. Not bad when we went.

Quote Originally Posted by river-z View Post

Forks campground cleanest bathrooms in the sierras. If you are tent camping. Awesome! Hope you can get a spot at the top of the campground lots of shade there. I was there last weekend and caught lots of stockers in the creek that runs thru the campground. I worked hard to catch them tho. Don’t be afraid to walk in the water and fish the hard to reach pools. Oh. And I got a few mosquito bites. Not bad when we went.

Landslide on the 168 has cut off access above Aspendel to Sabrina and North lake and related campgrounds, will take several days to clear it.

Hello guys - on the into Bishop I saw the signage about 168 so avoided going that direction. We ended up getting a great spot at Upper Soda Springs Campground right on the Upper San Joaquin river. The smoke was occasionally noticeable but not bad until the last day (Saturday).

The fishing was pretty good. I caught 20 fish and my 9 yo son caught a couple too. Best part was catching a golden.