Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Best place to try out boat

Default Best place to try out boat

So my brother in law just bought a nice aluminum boat, motor and trailer fully loaded with all the electronics and he wants to try it out on the water and of course make a few casts. He is in Fullerton near Cal State. Where is his best choices and on what days of the week?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    So my brother in law just bought a nice aluminum boat, motor and trailer fully loaded with all the electronics and he wants to try it out on the water and of course make a few casts. He is in Fullerton near Cal State. Where is his best choices and on what days of the week?
    I take it he wants to try it out in the freshwater. If so I would recommend Lake Castaic, the LMB are really biting. Plus so are the Stripers, so he would get a chance to use his electronics on the bait schools and mark some fish. I live nearby to him, so I know the drive isn't too bad.

p.s. I know Seal just breathed a sigh of relief, I didn't recommend Lake Silverwood! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-17-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Castaic is a long haul from Fullerton for someone who might not have that much trailering experience.
    If he wants to break in the motor with no Speed restriction, elsinore is big and generally not crowded. Perris obviously isn't that far away.

I'd recommend going early in the morning, when it's glassy if he doesn't know how to handle craft in wake and chop.

I would not recommend Puddingstone because of the size, and the alternate water craft schedule they have.

Quote Originally Posted by QB7940 View Post
    Castaic is a long haul from Fullerton for someone who might not have that much trailering experience.
    If he wants to break in the motor with no Speed restriction, elsinore is big and generally not crowded. Perris obviously isn't that far away.

I'd recommend going early in the morning, when it's glassy if he doesn't know how to handle craft in wake and chop.

I would not recommend Puddingstone because of the size, and the alternate water craft schedule they have.
    I would say Castaic and Perris are almost the same distance from Fullerton. Elisnore is definitely the closest from Fullerton of the 3 lakes mentioned, but it's the hardest lake to catch a fish in. If you do go to Elisnore, you must stop at Williams Bait & Tackle in the La Laguna Marina. He will give you all the latest information on where the fish are biting. Here's what biting at Elisnore in order of quantity. 1. Carp 2. Catfish 3. Bass 4. Panfish
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-17-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I would say to silverwood lake. The striper bites been good

Thanks everyone. As a lot of you guys know, Perris is 'my' lake that I fish often from my buddy's pontoon that he keeps there in a slip at the marina and also from my float tube, because the lake is a 25-30 minute drive from my house in Riverside. I thought of Perris, but then I thought of all the "Lake Lice" and crazies that show up there. Plus he'll no doubt want to spend the night before here, and we don't want that.. (long private story). He is also one of those guys that wants to keep any legal-sized bass he or I may catch. I release everything, even a possible Lake Perris record crappie. We should just go down to nearby Newport Bay, and just run the outboard in freshwater to rinse it out good, and wash everything off afterward.

Check the plug! Good luck out where you go.