Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Using Live Reef Fish For Bait!

Default Using Live Reef Fish For Bait!

Live Bait Shoreline Casting! How To Rig & Catch Bait!

Today i'll show how to rig & cast LIVE reef fish to hopefully catch hungry predators. Days earlier in the same spot an entourage of freshly pupped Hammerhead Sharks were dominating the area. The normal residents like Trevally & Bonefish were probably chased out by these predators. I was hoping the freshly birthed pups would be gone & they were, but it seems today's targeted normal inhabitants failed to return.

My fishing buddy Wayne Choy will demonstrate how to catch live reef fish to be used as live bait for hopefully larger predatory species since using cut bait wasn't producing any hits today. Unfortunately it did produce 2 unwanted bait stealers but the process used for today is sound.

The variations on this theme of dead sticking live bait is using a heavy weighted cord instead of all light monofilament line. Why?
    1) Easier for the angler to see the line's placement considering the glaring sun & the resulting glare reflecting off the water.
    2) An all light line has a tendency to be blown in different directions from the slightest wind gust. A nylon cord eliminates that nuisance & steadies the bait presentation to the fish.
    3) The light mono leader (2-4lb test) at the end of the cord will do the job nicely. The appearance of the visible cord won't distract the fish. a 2ft leader is sufficient though today a 1ft leader sufficed. You'll need to "bite" or use a pliers to pinch on a lead shot on that line. A simple small J-shaped hook works well, i like the Limerick hook. Small baits work well. If you have no bait use what's around you from bits of starfish to sea urchin roe. My favorite is picking up Nerite seashells that are commonly found on the high tide mark & crush the shells using rocks. The meat is a delicacy for reef fish. Use what's available. Sand Turtles (Sand Fleas, Mole Crabs, etc) works as well.

The 2 Burrfish i caught today are part of the Porcupine Fish family. Not edible or desirable so i threw them back. Some anglers will leave them on the shore to die because they're regarded as "rubbish fish" but please release them or any sea life back into the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhrrKYRx4QI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	51335  

Always enjoy your locations for shore fishing,I could spend the whole day there,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

I always enjoy God's creations wherever i go. But this place is really magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Chris View Post
    I always enjoy God's creations wherever i go. But this place is really magical.
    Agreed,we have to be and show appreciation,many don’t,I’ve been to Maui a couple of times,I have to head to your island �� soon!
    Cya Tuna Vic