Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Big Bear middle of July

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Big Bear middle of July

Last time I been to Big Bear was almost 4 years ago. Going up with family for a couple of days and was looking for some insight. Any recommendations are welcomed.
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by rusn007 View Post
    Last time I been to Big Bear was almost 4 years ago. Going up with family for a couple of days and was looking for some insight. Any recommendations are welcomed.
    TIA
    Trout near the dam by the red house on the north shore. And if they are not biting put some masa on the hook and catch carp all day.

Bowler has the location. Look to use slip bobbers with worms/nightcrawlers to keep the bait up out of the salad, OR a suitably long leader if using Powerbait to allow the bait to float above it.
    If renting a boat the same general techniques will work in the same general area (the "Trout Triangle") and will allow you to fish deeper, but you also have the flexibility to troll with leadcore - lures of choice being small Rapala or Needlefish.
    I like to fish early (wind will come up in the afternoon blowing from the Dam; can be a drag in a pontoon or any high profile boat) and this time of year, there is always the possibility of an afternoon monsoonal thundercell.
    Good luck! You definitely have a good plan to get the heck out of the heat and do some relaxation, let us know how it went!!! - Brewcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcrafter View Post
    Bowler has the location. Look to use slip bobbers with worms/nightcrawlers to keep the bait up out of the salad, OR a suitably long leader if using Powerbait to allow the bait to float above it.
    If renting a boat the same general techniques will work in the same general area (the "Trout Triangle") and will allow you to fish deeper, but you also have the flexibility to troll with leadcore - lures of choice being small Rapala or Needlefish.
    I like to fish early (wind will come up in the afternoon blowing from the Dam; can be a drag in a pontoon or any high profile boat) and this time of year, there is always the possibility of an afternoon monsoonal thundercell.
    Good luck! You definitely have a good plan to get the heck out of the heat and do some relaxation, let us know how it went!!! - Brewcrafter
    I’ve been going up there since 89. A good website for big bear lake weather is http://www.bensweather.com it has live camera feeds.
    Last edited by bowler; 07-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks guys! Going next week - will let you know if anything interesting happens.

sounds like the "Perfect Game" plan from Mr. Bowler....definitely didn't strike out on the that one. Ok, ill spare the puns. I went up before the rain yesterday and fished that suggested area. My buddy got 3 on a fly and missed a few more as well. I spent most my time sippin suds stalking the shore with my bow looking for carp. I spoke with a few anglers, basically from the red house to the dam, and the most productive technique was a bobber with their bait suspended underneath..and no, i'm not talking about a slip bobber. And like bowler said, bring some masa if its slow on the trout. Good luck out there, should be cooler than flat land