Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Gull lake, June Lake, Upper Mcgee Creek(Mcgee campground) 6/26 - 7/1

Default Gull lake, June Lake, Upper Mcgee Creek(Mcgee campground) 6/26 - 7/1

Went on an Rv trip up north to Reversed Creek campground and Mcgee creek campground with my family and just wanted to share a couple pics.

Gull lake - I primarily was the person changing the baits, putting on new hooks, fixing tangles, rowing, etc... Since I was with my younger brother, younger cousin and my girlfriend. I was focused on getting them fish, My cousin managed 2 rainbows . One with powerbait from shore, another while on a canoe drifting nightcrawlers . My girlfriend managed to get 2 sacramento perch, first time seeing them, they were fighting more than the trout at half the size. My little brother missed the action due to getting ill(stomach issues and nausea)

June lake- No report, Extremely windy when we arrived and didn't have much luck .

Mcgee Creek (at mcgee creek campground) - I was finally able to land some fish myself...Noticed the creek was very fast flowing; However, there were a couple of big rocks and bends in the creek that left pools of calm water. Most of the calm sections were unfortunately not accessible to me. I drifted a night crawler under the logs and behind the big rocks where the water was more calm and was able to pull out 2 browns and 2 rainbows.

I dont have pics of every fish and wish i could of done more fishing but options were limited due to having the RV as the only transportation . Was my first time really fishing a creek/river . I am ready to go back already HAHA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastern Sierras1.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	51286

Name:	Eastern Sierras2.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	51287

Name:	Eastern Sierras3.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	51288

Name:	Eastern Sierras4.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	51289

Also wanted to mention how much fishing line, plastic, cans, cigarettes , etc.. were left on shore at these lakes, reminded me a little of how the Socal lakes are... I tried to pick up as much as possible, I was surprised to see these lakes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by esteban1t View Post
    Also wanted to mention how much fishing line, plastic, cans, cigarettes , etc.. were left on shore at these lakes, reminded me a little of how the Socal lakes are... I tried to pick up as much as possible, I was surprised to see these lakes like that.
    Always worth the trip up there. Nice little brown you caught. When I’m up there I always pick up the trash of other d bags. Thanks for your report.

My father used to take me to the eastern Sierras around this time of year when he was alive, and he called it my "birthday trip," since my birthday is June 23. So this year, I took a "birthday trip" with my wife and just came back yesterday. Coincidentally, we fished McGee Creek last Tuesday, which I had never fished before. We both caught 5-6 rainbows each. Most of them were stockers and we let most of them go, but to my surprise I caught one that was about 16 inches that I am sure came out of Crowley Lake, plus a smaller one of about 11 inches that I believe came from Crowley as well due to it's coloration and condition. The big one jumped all the way out of the water 2-3 times before I got it in.

We caught mostly Brookies the rest of the trip, plus a few Browns. I have photos but have yet to post them. One of the Brookies that I caught was about 12 inches long, one of the two largest Brookies I have ever caught.

Anyway, I like McGee Creek now. I would like to fish it all the way down to Crowley Lake next time, although my wife doesn't want to hike that far. Where we were was on the Crowley Lake side of the highway (and yes, there are no special regs there this time of year but there are from opening day until just before Memorial Day and from September onward). There were a lot of people fishing there, many of them using bait.

Good job on helping everybody else with fishing. I know how that is. LOL

Oh, I thought of trying for Sacramento Perch too, but my wife said she would rather catch trout.

We were planning to fish a "secret spot" for Goldens too, but the crowds in the area kept us away.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 07-02-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks for the report. I like McGee campground,but haven't fished below it before. Might have to try it on the north side of the hwy next time. Those are some nice fish, glad you got into some action.

Nice Pictures.

Thanks for the report. Wish more would report as there are fewer and fewer reports this year

I hope you don't mind me attaching a few photos from my trip, Esteban. I have never been able to get the photobucket thing to work and it seems silly for me to make a photo thread without big pictures.

The first photo shows my wife fishing in a comfy spot in Tuolumne Meadows. The two fish in the next photo are from McGee Creek but look like they came from Crowley. Another photo shows my wife catching one at McGee Creek. The two brookies in the motel room are from Yosemite. The bigger one is from Tenaya Lake (almost 12 inches long) and the smaller one is a nine incher from Cathedral Creek in Tuolumne Meadows. The last brookie is a good one from Blue Lake in the Virginia Lakes area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0113.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	51307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0112.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	51306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0110.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	51305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0120.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	51308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0141.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	51309  

Last edited by Natural Lefty; 07-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I hope you don't mind me attaching a few photos from my trip, Esteban. I have never been able to get the photobucket thing to work and it seems silly for me to make a photo thread without big pictures.

The first photo shows my wife fishing in a comfy spot in Tuolumne Meadows. The two fish in the next photo are from McGee Creek but look like they came from Crowley. Another photo shows my wife catching one at McGee Creek. The two brookies in the motel room are from Yosemite. The bigger one is from Tenaya Lake (almost 12 inches long) and the smaller one is a nine incher from Cathedral Creek in Tuolumne Meadows. The last brookie is a good one from Blue Lake in the Virginia Lakes area.
    Those trout in the 2nd picture look very dark ! never seen that.
    might go up to big bear this weekend so ill hopefully have more trout pics to post!

Yes, they were very dark Rainbows that I think had come out of Crowley Lake. The lower one had a large, bright crimson stripe too, but it doesn't really show in the photo.