Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend with Aquaphobia

Default Friend with Aquaphobia

I want to teach my friend how to swim just in case of emergency. But he has aquaphobia since his brothered drowned from their school trip.

Good Luck with that. I think the only advice anyone could give you would be to take it real slow! Non of that sink or swim attitude my uncles gave me when I was 7!

Hello Etucker, I hope you are having a good day. What things can you suggest or what should I do first?

Take your friend to professional swim instructor with a pool. Phobias are real deals to the person affected. You do this wrong and the person will never go in the water. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea Hamby View Post
    Hello Etucker, I hope you are having a good day. What things can you suggest or what should I do first?
    I like Viejo's advice. But what you can still do is, "Major reassurance!" Talk to him as much as he's comfortable talking about it. Get him to relax about the coming experience and remind him about all the benefits he will gain. There is so many things you can do in and on top of the water that he would be missing by not being able to swim. The case in Thailand right now of the children trapped in the cave is a perfect example. (none of them know how to swim!)

Viejo said it best. At this point, if they are already afraid of water, a certified instructor who is familiar with dealing with the situation at hand is your best bet. Just don't toss them into the deep end of the pool, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    You do this wrong and the person will never go in the water.
    My little brother learned how to swim by getting tossed into the deep end of the pool at a family gathering. Sink or swim!

Probably not the best way to do it....

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The case in Thailand right now of the children trapped in the cave is a perfect example. (none of them know how to swim!)
    Tucky,

Read the details, bud. Even Michael Phelps could not get out of that situation without a breathing apparatus. Asking kids to know how to SCUBA is kind of a stretch.

The long, convoluted route to the entrance is completely inundated with water, save for several air pockets along the way. What's more, the water is thick with mud and visibility is practically nil. Some sections are so narrow that divers can barely squeeze through with their oxygen tanks, and the flow of water is very strong in other areas.

We are planning in taking him to a therapist (https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/depression/) for him to cope up with his fears and if he is ready, we can find him a swimming instructor who has experience in this kind of situation.

That was my suggestion. A therapist who deals with phobias can make progress toward your goal. I have autism and therefore have poor balance. I am afraid of heights because of this. No amount of therapy would help me, but fear of water isn't a physical problem. It's a mental issue and therefore amenable to therapy. Good luck.

You can also try looking for self-help tips online.

The Internet is a big help for me. Thank you for all your recommendations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast