Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friend with Aquaphobia

Here are my two cents worth. First, it is very tragic that your friend's brother drowned during a school field trip. That would be difficult to overcome. I had a niece who drowned at the age of 6 at a public swimming pool, and our family is still affected by that.

Second, I personally have never liked to swim and found it unpleasant even as a child. If I go out in a boat, I just put on a life jacket to feel more secure. I like being around water but not in it.

Third, it is doubtful that attempts to make your friend unafraid of swimming will be successful. I would suggest him avoiding being in the water, and use a life jacket while in a boat just to be safe. Drowning is a real danger and it's no joke. Humans cannot breath underwater obviously. However, chances of an emergency happening if he is not swimming are vey slim.

An anecdote about that is that one of my friends told me about a young woman that he knew quite a few years ago, who took LSD which resulted in her thinking that she could breath underwater. She tried out her idea in a local creek and ended up drowning

By the way, I am a social psychologist so I have considerable familiarity with psychological issues.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 08-10-2018 at 12:34 PM.

My two cents of water. When I was a kid I loved swimming in lakes and home pools both. In 1969 I almost drowned crossing a monsoon swollen river while on patrol in Vietnam, I was lucky to grab on to a fallen tree I had a heavy pack on near ninety pounds in weight with rifle and ammo. That was the last time I have ever been in water and don't care to anymore . I don't even take a bath but a shower is fine.

Wow, Old Pudd Fisher. That close call must have been terrifying. Thankfully that tree was there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12