Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sunday Fishing Perris

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Marino View Post
    The bite is decent right now but will be getting better as this heat wave pushes through. Once the water has a little bit more flavor in it the bite will improve.. I knew the bite would get tougher if the water got crystal clear.. and that's where we are at..
    A little more color to the water and the bite will get sick again. The lack of grass also has an affect on the bite.. The shad are staying deeper and the bass are feeding on the tiny fry.
    Screw the haters Pete. The people that know you don't care what they say. My buddy and I went out in the harshest winter conditions with Pete on purpose to learn how to get deep water winter fish to go and he did put us on fish. We only got about 6 or so, but he never lied about it to anyone. He was very upfront from the beginning and I learned a lot that day that I still use (other than ice jigging) I still cant figure that out...lol

Thanks for the info Pete and maybe we'll see you out there soon.

thanks Brent... yeah no doubt... no worries... Yeah that Winter bite in the worst conditions can be a grind... We had some good ones that day and would have won had there been a tourney... Getting bites in the Winter can be tough and under bad conditions...it can be brutal... We grinded though and that what needs to happen during those days... Its not always easy...

guess what? Here comes winter... in just a few months haha

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Screw the haters Pete. The people that know you don't care what they say. My buddy and I went out in the harshest winter conditions with Pete on purpose to learn how to get deep water winter fish to go and he did put us on fish. We only got about 6 or so, but he never lied about it to anyone. He was very upfront from the beginning and I learned a lot that day that I still use (other than ice jigging) I still cant figure that out...lol

Thanks for the info Pete and maybe we'll see you out there soon.
    Brent/Pete,

You guys had any luck out of Perris lately? I did really good in May the few times I went. June was slow for me on quality. Last summer this time I was catching a lot of deep fish, but I am not marking anything deep as of right before the 4th. Maybe they are stacked up there now?? With all the extra water I just cant resist hitting the cover in the east end and neglecting anything west of the island. I know Pete mentioned the shad are deep. Are the bass on them??????

Heres the deal as of right now... Because of all the new water there are tons of bushes and trees all the way out to 25-27 ft deep... the bass are suspending in the trees.. They aren't on the deep offshore ledges like they used to be...(Im sure some are but not in big numbers) I used to love ledge fishing at Perris.. but because the water has come up it has forced us to have to adapt or get left behind and call people that have adapted, liars haha..
    The crank bite continues to be a great way to catch bigger fish right now... DEEP CRANKS like 20+ footers... Youll throw it for a long time, almost lose confidence then boom, boom, boom, you find the right tree that has a school and youll catch a few.. Then back to nothing for a while... A key for me has been marking those spots with a waypoint and going back to them later and the spots replenish and you can get bit again in the same spot.. Keep in mind that if you catch a bass you HAVE To MAKE ANOTHER BUNCH OF CASTS ON THAT SPOT BECAUSE that spot may have a huge school of bass on it... You just never know so you have to mark it and come back.. even if you don't catch a second fish at that moment there..
    Also what Im doing is starting with a deep crank and after I catch one or a couple and then they slow down Ill switch to the dropshot with a short leader... Because if they stop chasing the crank or don't chase it at all then they will be feeding down eating slow moving things like crawdads or sculpin... So im going from one extreme (the fast moving crankbait) to the other (The Dropshot -A slow moving bait that is close to the bottom) Ive been pretty surprised how many times this summer that I saw them on the graph and couldn't get them to eat the crank only to switch to the dropshot and catch them.
    As June progressed and as things tightened up, I started having several other different rods on the deck and fished what seemed right.... Good Ol'Junk fishing.

But overall, It hasn't been an easy Summer so far but there have been fish to be caught, its just taken a variety of techniques to put together a good bag... Junk fishing has been the name of the game and I hate junk fishing... I like to be extremely dialed in... BUT keep in mind that June is usually a tough month at Perris....This year the tougher bite has extended into July BUT.. Things are starting to happen though so the lake is only a couple weeks behind schedule of its normal summer..
    Things are starting to pop... shad are headed shallow, the topwater bite is starting in the typical areas it starts in.. and the water is getting some color in it... Things are coming along... And right now you can catch them on the Dropshot, the Texas rig, the Carolina rig, the fly line rig, a squarebill, a deep crank, an Alabama rig, a tailspin, a popper, a walking topwater, a frog at a variety of depths from 3ft all the way out to 45ft.. ....

Pete,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of what went on in June and what is going on at Perris right now. I haven't been out there for awhile and I have the itch!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Marino View Post
    Heres the deal as of right now... Because of all the new water there are tons of bushes and trees all the way out to 25-27 ft deep... the bass are suspending in the trees.. They aren't on the deep offshore ledges like they used to be...(Im sure some are but not in big numbers) I used to love ledge fishing at Perris.. but because the water has come up it has forced us to have to adapt or get left behind and call people that have adapted, liars haha..
    The crank bite continues to be a great way to catch bigger fish right now... DEEP CRANKS like 20+ footers... Youll throw it for a long time, almost lose confidence then boom, boom, boom, you find the right tree that has a school and youll catch a few.. Then back to nothing for a while... A key for me has been marking those spots with a waypoint and going back to them later and the spots replenish and you can get bit again in the same spot.. Keep in mind that if you catch a bass you HAVE To MAKE ANOTHER BUNCH OF CASTS ON THAT SPOT BECAUSE that spot may have a huge school of bass on it... You just never know so you have to mark it and come back.. even if you don't catch a second fish at that moment there..
    Also what Im doing is starting with a deep crank and after I catch one or a couple and then they slow down Ill switch to the dropshot with a short leader... Because if they stop chasing the crank or don't chase it at all then they will be feeding down eating slow moving things like crawdads or sculpin... So im going from one extreme (the fast moving crankbait) to the other (The Dropshot -A slow moving bait that is close to the bottom) Ive been pretty surprised how many times this summer that I saw them on the graph and couldn't get them to eat the crank only to switch to the dropshot and catch them.
    As June progressed and as things tightened up, I started having several other different rods on the deck and fished what seemed right.... Good Ol'Junk fishing.

But overall, It hasn't been an easy Summer so far but there have been fish to be caught, its just taken a variety of techniques to put together a good bag... Junk fishing has been the name of the game and I hate junk fishing... I like to be extremely dialed in... BUT keep in mind that June is usually a tough month at Perris....This year the tougher bite has extended into July BUT.. Things are starting to happen though so the lake is only a couple weeks behind schedule of its normal summer..
    Things are starting to pop... shad are headed shallow, the topwater bite is starting in the typical areas it starts in.. and the water is getting some color in it... Things are coming along... And right now you can catch them on the Dropshot, the Texas rig, the Carolina rig, the fly line rig, a squarebill, a deep crank, an Alabama rig, a tailspin, a popper, a walking topwater, a frog at a variety of depths from 3ft all the way out to 45ft.. ....
    Thanks for the report, pete. I used to love the deep ledge bite myself, but I see where you are coming from with the deep tree bite. I think ive caught every juvenile bass in the lake in those trees. Thanks for the insight. Your the master!!!!!!!
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 07-15-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Nice to hear from ya Pete! Now if only the weather would chill out I'd take a crack at the lake again. Fishing from a kayak in the heat really sucks as it consumes too much energy moving around the lake. I tend to not drink or consume very little liquids once on the water so I don't have to take a leak. It works out good on cooler days, but not so good on the hot ones. I really enjoy kayak fishing but a dang boat would come in handy at times.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234