Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Waders recommendation

Default Waders recommendation

I've had my current hodgman waders for years and it's time to get a better fitting size. Any recommendations for around 150? I want them to be breathable, will be used in the Eastern Sierras and just tubing castaic.

Add $50 and you can get a pair of Simms that will last you for years. The Fly Shop in redding has a great pair with amazing warranty as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Add $50 and you can get a pair of Simms that will last you for years. The Fly Shop in redding has a great pair with amazing warranty as well.
    I rocked Simms low end waders for a while, and while they were not made of Goretex, (they were made from some type of Toray fabric), they did the job.

Obviously, wear and tear took its toll, and they were retired, so I picked up some Freestones, and I was a tad disappointed in the durability. The booties started leaking after only a few months, and finally the seams and taping in the crotch started leaking as well. Simms does have an excellent warranty, but shipping them back and forth every season kinda sucked. And I know that hiking miles in them are probably not the best idea, but I'm a very 'mobile' fisherman, and normally hike 5+ miles in a day with them. Don't know if that's out of the ordinary.

So, i upgraded to Patagonia's Rio Gallego zip fronts, which I practically stole from Sierra Trading Post. MSRP were $600, and I got them for 40% off of $249. So far, a few things that I did notice:

1. A lot more breathable than the Simms. I immediately noticed after long hikes into canyons that my legs weren't sweating as much.
    2. The knee pads are clutch, especially if you're the type of fisherman that gets off the beaten path. Can't count the number of times I had to crawl on hands and knees to get to spots or to get casts on fish, and my knees are grateful.
    3. The zipper helps, especially when nature calls.
    4. They're convertible, which means that during hot days, you can convert them into pants.
    5. The booties are more anatomically correct than the Simms booties, and seem thicker.

Obviously, I'm comparing a pair of Freestones against Patagonia's top line, but if the OP can find a great deal on the Patagonias, they come well recommended.

FWIW, here's a link to Sierra Trading Post for waders and boots:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/wa...g-boots~d~243/

If you sign up for their e-newsletter, they usually provide at least a 25% coupon off most of their items on Fridays.

For something closer to your budget considerations, I use Caddis stocking foot waders for float tubing and they've been fine for two seasons. Be sure to consult the sizing chart. https://caddiswaders.com/product/del...-stockingfoot/

Loving this thread! sub'd