Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Casting A Avet Raptor Thumbless!

Default Casting A Avet Raptor Thumbless!

Casting A Avet Raptor Thumbless!

The highlighted new combo ia a Avet MC Cast Raptor MXL 6/4 RH 2-Speed with a Daiwa Emblem 11ft H Baitcaster. After a few days of practicing my casting skills at Waipio Soccer Peninsula Field off Waipahu, Oahu, Hawaii i can dry-cast +80yds without using my thumb. I've been using a simple overhead cast for accurately placing the lead to using a pendulum swing for distance.

On Dec 22, 2016 a TX angler reeled in a 348.5lb Yellowfin Tuna on a Avet LX 6/3 spooled with 40lb mono off Cabo San Lucas. That model has lower stats then this reel i'm highlighting. Avets are easy to cast and have great reviews from the hit show Wicked Tuna to anglers Worldwide.

I got this unit from TackleDirect online. I highly recommend using Avets from trolling to jigging. For shore-casting i'd suggest using the MC Cast models. Also the Raptors which are 2-speed. Make sure to correctly distinguish the RH "right handed" models from the LH "left handed" units. Also i suggest braid backing. This'll give you extra line so the bigger fish can run & tire them-selfs out. And use mono for the top shot. Mono will cast easier. Yardage should be the distance you can cast.

The MC Cast control employs magnets. When the aluminum spool spins faster it creates a magnetic field. The faster the spool spins, the stronger the field becomes. The magnets will slow this effect. For light spoons i'd use setting 1-2. Live baits 3-4. Heavy lead for shore casting 4-5. If unsure start on setting 5 and work backwards.

(BE SURE TO ADJUST THE STRIKE SETTING BY BRINGING THE SLIDING LEVEL ALL THE WAY DOWN FIRST. DON'T SET THE STRIKE SETTING WHILE IN STRIKE. I WAS FIRST TOLD THAT THE NEWER MODELS CAN DO THIS BUT IT'S BEST NOT TO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4BfRMfPFwg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avet.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	51247  
    Last edited by Scuba Chris; 06-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.