Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do the Crappie at Lake Gregory normally start hitting?

Default When do the Crappie at Lake Gregory normally start hitting?

I had the pleasure of fishing lake Gregory for the first time last month? We were trout fishing then and we caught a few, but was wondering when those stunted but plentiful Crappies normal start to bite? They are doing another trout stocking in July and was thinking of giving that a go. But was wondering about those Crappies. Any information would be appreciated!

Recent surveys seem to indicate the crappie have been outcompeted and replaced by tule perch. When they were there, I’d see them spawn around May.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I had the pleasure of fishing lake Gregory for the first time last month? We were trout fishing then and we caught a few, but was wondering when those stunted but plentiful Crappies normal start to bite? They are doing another trout stocking in July and was thinking of giving that a go. But was wondering about those Crappies. Any information would be appreciated!
    Tule perch represent 90% of the fish biomass in the last CDFW electrofishing survey. The dredging and drawdown for construction activities have given then a competitive advantage since they are ovoviviparous... meaning their eggs are fertilized internally and give live birth. Nest making warmwater species have been hampered by the dredging and drawdown...thus their decline/absence over the last few surveys.
    Last edited by kwin; 06-24-2018 at 11:56 AM.

I guess I can cross another lake off the potential Crappie lake mecca!

I haven't caught a crappie out of there for about 3 years. When I went there in 2016 you couldn't even catch a bluegill. Weird.

Wow, that is weird. I didn't even know that there were Tule Perch in there. But they are a native CA species, so that's good. I guess the Tule Perch fishing should be good now. LOL Too bad they are so small.

That explains why I was only able to hook one small Crappie last year, and even it came off the hook. I used to catch the greatest numbers of them around this time of year, like in June an July.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Wow, that is weird. I didn't even know that there were Tule Perch in there. But they are a native CA species, so that's good. I guess the Tule Perch fishing should be good now. LOL Too bad they are so small.

That explains why I was only able to hook one small Crappie last year, and even it came off the hook. I used to catch the greatest numbers of them around this time of year, like in June an July.
    We are going to go again after the next trout stocking. (July 11) I'm going to try to catch a Tule perch because I never caught one before. Any recommendations on baits or locations at Lake Gregory to give it a try?

You know the aqueduct in hesperia is full of them right?

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    You know the aqueduct in hesperia is full of them right?
    Never heard of it!

Next you will be telling me about the herd of Unicorns on the back side of Lake Arrowhead! lol

I guess you know everything so I am wrong never caught them sorry for wrong information to the site. You really are an idiot do not ask me for information cause I am a bigger Idiot than you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast