Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do the Crappie at Lake Gregory normally start hitting?

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    I guess you know everything so I am wrong never caught them sorry for wrong information to the site. You really are an idiot do not ask me for information cause I am a bigger Idiot than you.
    Tell you what because you didn't like my humor. Post any picture of an Crappie with the Aqueduct in the background. I'll send you a $25 gift certificate of your choice.

Was talking about the perch not crappie.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Tule perch represent 90% of the fish biomass in the last CDFW electrofishing survey. The dredging and drawdown for construction activities have given then a competitive advantage since they are ovoviviparous... meaning their eggs are fertilized internally and give live birth. Nest making warmwater species have been hampered by the dredging and drawdown...thus their decline/absence over the last few surveys.
    Kwin,

Not to try and steal this post but, didn't I seen something on the internet about you were going to move up to northern Cal? Just curious, we'd hate to lose you in So. Cal!

Erik. I actually did catch a Tule Perch at Silverwood Lake one time. It was about 7 inches, and looked like some kind of sunfish to me initially. I went back and figured out that it was a Tule Perch by doing some online searches, and a huge and very attractive one with a purplish color. I have a photo of it somewhere. I caught it from the docks but not too far from shore on a redworm, so my advice to you would be to use redworms near shore to have the best chance of catching Tule Perch. They might like flies too but I am not really sure.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 06-26-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Docks at Silverwood is a fine place to catch a decent crappie, or Green Valley lake is loaded with smaller ones, you are welcome Etucker.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Tule perch represent 90% of the fish biomass in the last CDFW electrofishing survey. The dredging and drawdown for construction activities have given then a competitive advantage since they are ovoviviparous... meaning their eggs are fertilized internally and give live birth. Nest making warmwater species have been hampered by the dredging and drawdown...thus their decline/absence over the last few surveys.
    Didn't know about the Tule Perch. Cool!

Anyone with experience targeting them at Lake Gregory? Locations to focus on? Tactics? I'd imagine sunfish bait/tackle would work. It's a species I've never caught before, would like to add it to the list.

Some neat videos footage and info here: http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/species/?uid=105&ds=241
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 06-27-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Carpanglerdude, I have not caught any at Lake Gregory, but I would try Catfish Cove not too far from shore using redworms for Tule Perch. That's where I usually catch Crappie, Bluegill, or Pumpkinseeds at Gregory, but the Crappie are normally on jigs.

I agree about the Silverwood docks being a good place to catch Crappie. It's very deep there and lots of fish are usually around, sometimes including schools of Crappie.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 06-28-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12