Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Caught Crab at Balboa Pier - Report + Video

1. Default Caught Crab at Balboa Pier - Report + Video

Thanks to everyone with tips for catching crab at Balboa Pier in Newport. Used a few small crab hoop net devices, baited with assorted raw meat. Only caught a few very small crab (I think rock crab?), but it was a fun learning experience.
    Total of 4 crab over a couple of trips. Take a look at the video here:

Cool vid,just the way I like them,short and sweet,nice effort,makes me wonder if those piers get fished hard for crabs so that’s why there’s only dinks? It seems the farther north you go the quality goes up. Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic

As I recall, I was one of the people who gave you crabbing advice specific to Balboa Pier. I am glad it helped. ;) My next advice would be to go back in the winter, starting in December, because that is when more of the larger, adult crab tend to be around there. Some of them are likely to be females carrying fertilized eggs though. You should check for that and probably return the mother to be crabs.