Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: What happened to curly-tailed worms?

Default What happened to curly-tailed worms?

Where did all the curly tail worms go? Why and when did straight tailed worms get so popular? Back in the 1990s the "finesse" style of bass fishing became the hot way to fish for bass here in California. It involved using 4 to 6 lb test monofilament line, an Aberdeen style worm hook rigged Texas style into a small 4" curly tailed plastic worm, and a round split shot crimped on the line about a foot or so above the worm. This would be cast out and retrieved with a slow steady retrieve along the bottom so that the tail of the worm would "swim" looking like a small shad or baitfish. The bend of the hook acted like a keel and stopped the worm from spinning around avoiding line twist. Many western bass fishermen, including myself had great success with this method. I still do.
    Although there are numerous makes of small plastic worms that feature a curly tail, most do not have any swimming action with a slow retrieve because the tails are either too short or too stiff. One of the most popular worms for the true original finesse bass fishing was Kalin's 4" Salty Finesse Worm. It had a longer softer tail than other brands, but the body was firm. I don't think these particular worms are made any more. Sure you can fish a straight worm with a split shot, but there is no great swimming action from the bait other than what the angler does with his fishing rod to impart some kind of motion to the bait.

There are swim Senkos, curly tailed Robo Worms, plenty out there. If you aren't finding them, you aren't looking. Go to Bass Pro Shops.

Oh I can find them, but like I said, the quality is not there anymore, for the reasons I mentioned; tails too short, too thick etc..

Mister twister has good ribbontails. youll have to order em online though

those are the worms you want, they're called ribbontail worms.

Marketing kills, and marketing creates.

When social media creates "Brand Ambassadors" where all you have to do is land a chunk on a Senko and then remove said Senko for your photo op and you stick your sponsor's brands bait in their mouth, certain baits lose their place....such as the curly tails.

Throw your confidence bait. It's not the wand, it's the magician.

But if you have to throw a 'curly tail,' Roboworm makes plenty of them. If you really want to go Silverlake on them, find some Augertails from Mann's Bait Company. You'll be the trendiest bass fisherman at your lake.