Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Could Trump become President for Life?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Could Trump become President for Life?

At first it would sound absurd to the common person. If you look at that possibility more closely it's not as crazy as it sounds. After driving home from another disastrous fishing trip. (not even a bite) I threw this question at my friend Phil. He in-effect was arguing the con of that argument and I was arguing the possibility of that happening. At the end of our discussion, he came up with nothing that said it couldn't happening.

The first question comes up was, has it ever crossed Trump's mind of becoming President for life??? The answer is Yes!!! Just last month when the President of China declared himself President for life. Trump said, "maybe we should try that!!" If your first argument is, "no politician would have the O dasity to do something that's never been done before." I want you to think back to what Mitch McConnell did with Obama's last Supreme court nominee. (refused to bring him up for a vote) They stole a seat that was rightfully Obama's pick.

Here's how he could do it. In 2020 Trump could come up with any excuse to cancel the 2020 Presidential election. Safety is always a good excuse but the reason is irrelevant!! It's what you try to do about it, is what's important.

Take it to the Supreme Court and claim his actions are Unconstitutional. Ok let's say you do that and it comes back 9 to nothing that Trumps action was Unconstitutional. Then what??? The Supreme court has no enforcement arm to enforce it's ruling. Trump say's, "I'm not listening to them" I'm staying!!! (Fake Judges)

My friend Phil argued the army would force him out. Really the President is Commander and Chief of all the military. Do you really think some General would have enough troops loyal to him to take on the rest of the army. Nope not going to happen!!!

The people would take to the streets and force him out. Just like they did in Ten Ann Men square in China. That's not going to work. People can protest all they want, but as long as Trump has the army backing him up. He's not going any where.

There is only 2 way's to get rid of a physco President and see if either of those 2 things would work.

The first way is the 25th Amendment. This is where the majority of Trumps hand picked cabinet votes that he's incapacitated to do the job of President. Sorry folks that's not going to happen!!!

The second and last way is through Impeachment in the House and conviction in the Senate. I could see them vote and get an Impeachment majority in the House of Representatives. (especially if the Democrats take back the House) But it means nothing, if you don't get an conviction in the Senate. It takes an 2/3 vote of guilty in the Senate to get an conviction.

Let's do the Math. For our example we will go with a 50/50 split of Democrats and Republicans in the Senate. (it's actually 49-51 Republicans) You need 2/3 of the Senators to vote for conviction. All 50 Democrats will vote for an conviction but will 16 Republicans vote to throw Trump out???? (a few will but not 16)

I'll bet I know what you are thinking???? etucker must be smoking the good stuff to think they wouldn't convict!!!

Let's think about this for a minute from the Republican side. Yes it's going against their principles not to convict. But what are they giving up if they convict. A possible Democratic as President. Which means no more Conservative judges on the Supreme Court. They will never be able to repeal Obama Care. The 2nd amendment might come under attack. Abortion will stay the law of the land. The tax cuts they just passed might be thrown out the window. The Military budget might go down. Plus Trump is so dumb and lazy, he will sign anything we stick under his nose to sign into law!!! So it would be pretty hard for 16 Republican Senators to vote for conviction!!!

Do you see my logic????

Let's just hope Trump doesn't have the stones to try this, but if he does???? I think he could get away with it!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-30-2020 at 08:26 AM.