Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kids to Fairmount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kids to Fairmount

Took all four of my Grandsons (ages 4 to 17) to Fairmount Park around 4 pm to fish for the Bluegill there. Using a 4 lb test line, a No.10 Eagle Claw Circle hook and a small bobber up 24 inches or so from the hook and waxworms for bait, we caught about 40 fish in a couple hours time. My youngest grandson Joseph caught the most fish! Every time I cast out for him, his little foam bobber would go underwater and he'd start reeling in a fish! With circle hooks you don't need to set the hook. The fish hook themselves when you start winding them in. Plus they don't get hooked deep in their throats, so all were released unharmed. We had a lot of fun and there was a lot of smiles! It's a great time and place to take the kids fishing. These are not the huge 1 to 2 pound Lake Perris Bluegill that I have reported about in the past, but still a fun fish for children to catch, without getting bored with slow fishing or no fish being caught at all. Nothing worse to show a young kid about fishing is to have nothing caught and no fish biting at all

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Took all four of my Grandsons (ages 4 to 17) to Fairmount Park around 4 pm to fish for the Bluegill there. Using a 4 lb test line, a No.10 Eagle Claw Circle hook and a small bobber up 24 inches or so from the hook and waxworms for bait, we caught about 40 fish in a couple hours time. My youngest grandson Joseph caught the most fish! Every time I cast out for him, his little foam bobber would go underwater and he'd start reeling in a fish! With circle hooks you don't need to set the hook. The fish hook themselves when you start winding them in. Plus they don't get hooked deep in their throats, so all were released unharmed. We had a lot of fun and there was a lot of smiles! It's a great time and place to take the kids fishing. These are not the huge 1 to 2 pound Lake Perris Bluegill that I have reported about in the past, but still a fun fish for children to catch, without getting bored with slow fishing or no fish being caught at all. Nothing worse to show a young kid about fishing is to have nothing caught and no fish biting at all
    Thanks for the report! Glad to hear the sunfish population is still kicking!

Good job Grandpa all mine moved to Texas wish they were here to do the same.

Wow! Finally got some replies! 170 views and finally got a couple of replies. (Thanks carpanglerdude and drifter023). What's up with this site? It's sure not like it used to be..

Here is one more Jeff. Good work with the grand kids I have five of them and two are great grand kids believe it or not , wish they lived closer to me. I bet those small Fairmount gills keep the big bass happy.

Hi Ted. Yes I believe they do. There's quite a few baby bass with daddy bass protecting them, plus a lot of 2 to 3 inch fingerling Largemouths all over, so the bigger catchable bass are doing well and as hard to catch as they always have been. Met a young fisherman that claimed to have caught a 12 pounder and gave me a very convincing story about how he caught it, but didn't have his other phone to show me the photo of it..