Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Salamander Sinkers  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Challenging day surf fishing but caught

Default Challenging day surf fishing but caught

Time: 4:00 a.m.- 6:00 a.m.
    Tide: Started fishing 1 hour before High Tide.
    Conditions: Calm, almost no wind, clear water, 1 ft swell, some salad, I think I seen some bait fish jump.

Gear: Baitcasting low-profile reel with 16# drag, spooled with 12# mono, on a 7' M rod. 4-1/2" suspending jerkbait minnow lure

Well, I was back in the surf today and it was a little frustrated having some trouble dialing in my baitcasting reel and kept getting backlash (early in the cast) which ate up most of my time. Every cast I was cleaning up the mess. I couldn't understand why because I had it dialed in 2 days ago and hadn't changed a thing and was throwing the same lure/weight. So I did what I thought was best and applied some brakes but still couldn't get it to stop.

Also I didn't have any shoes so I bought some cheap wally world beach shoes yesterday thinking it would be a good investment. I think they are neoprene but they literally suck - in sand, which is pretty annoying so I think I'm going for some entry waders since I'm mostly going to be in sand.

I finally dialed in my reel by backing off the spool tension a micro turn and got it just right. Perfect casts after that. The sky started to lighten up. That's when this hit my lure:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uBVOKyu6z1cTS1TE3

22-23" barracuda. Didn't put up a huge fight but I was glad to catch something before I had to leave to work.

Going back out early tomorrow morning!

Quote Originally Posted by plao View Post
    Time: 4:00 a.m.- 6:00 a.m.
    Tide: Started fishing 1 hour before High Tide.
    Conditions: Calm, almost no wind, clear water, 1 ft swell, some salad, I think I seen some bait fish jump.

Gear: Baitcasting low-profile reel with 16# drag, spooled with 12# mono, on a 7' M rod. 4-1/2" suspending jerkbait minnow lure

Well, I was back in the surf today and it was a little frustrated having some trouble dialing in my baitcasting reel and kept getting backlash (early in the cast) which ate up most of my time. Every cast I was cleaning up the mess. I couldn't understand why because I had it dialed in 2 days ago and hadn't changed a thing and was throwing the same lure/weight. So I did what I thought was best and applied some brakes but still couldn't get it to stop.

Also I didn't have any shoes so I bought some cheap wally world beach shoes yesterday thinking it would be a good investment. I think they are neoprene but they literally suck - in sand, which is pretty annoying so I think I'm going for some entry waders since I'm mostly going to be in sand.

I finally dialed in my reel by backing off the spool tension a micro turn and got it just right. Perfect casts after that. The sky started to lighten up. That's when this hit my lure:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uBVOKyu6z1cTS1TE3

22-23" barracuda. Didn't put up a huge fight but I was glad to catch something before I had to leave to work.

Going back out early tomorrow morning!
    Nice hit, I know I spend a lengthy time adjusting my baitcaster also. Which beach was this caught off of?

Nice report! Good luck in the AM!

nice better then skunk and cool to see you get it with a suspending jerkbait and a semi small pole. i keep wanting to take my mini motorcycle to the ocean and try for something even though all i got is bass gear and even smaller poles then you used for that one. i dont really have advice for shoes. i never really beach fished before. i think it would be nice to do it just to get off pressure city castaic here and there. even if skunk so what im used to that from fishing castaic a lot. but it would be some better scenery. post more if you catch tomorrow and gl.

Barracuda from the surf,that’s pretty cool!

Cya Tuna Vic