Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Need recommendations on a beginner conventional rod/reel setup

Default Need recommendations on a beginner conventional rod/reel setup

Hey Gents, I have setup a 3/4 day fishing trip out of Dana Point CA next week. Looking ahead, I will be going on more charter boat fishing trips so long as my wallet will agree. I haven't been on a charter for over two years and I remember how awesome the rod/reels are that you rent =). I was contemplating buying a reel that would do well and I could count on, but wont break the bank. Let me know your thoughts and opinions. I appreciate your guys help in advance.

Budget $100-$200

Hey Marky, you can find a Penn Jigmaster rod/reel combo on Amazon for under $200 and have enough left over for line and some hooks from your local tackle shop. Probably not Spectra, but mono for sure. Bass Pro advertises some conventional combos in your price range. I would not recommend a level wind reel if you are looking for anything bigger than bass. Have fun when you get back out there!

the bad thing is with ocean the targets are varying so it depends really what you are targeting ect. but one thing i know is dont forget about the used market. if you can just save up some cash rent one for now and keep a eye out you can find some sweet deals on forums local or craigslist ect or maybe even talk to the guys on the boat you go on. the workers co captain captain or even other guys on the boat.. they will prob have solid advice on species related gear and prob the solid cheaper lines to go with ect. some might even have used gear for cheap of their own. sometimes where you rent the poles ect also they might have good deal on a used pole and reel already pefect for what you need and cheap. gl.

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    the bad thing is with ocean the targets are varying so it depends really what you are targeting ect. but one thing i know is dont forget about the used market. if you can just save up some cash rent one for now and keep a eye out you can find some sweet deals on forums local or craigslist ect or maybe even talk to the guys on the boat you go on. the workers co captain captain or even other guys on the boat.. they will prob have solid advice on species related gear and prob the solid cheaper lines to go with ect. some might even have used gear for cheap of their own. sometimes where you rent the poles ect also they might have good deal on a used pole and reel already pefect for what you need and cheap. gl.
    Update.....I ended up going to a swap meet in San Pedro and got a deal on a rod/reel package. I found a gentleman who sold me a nicely used Penn Jigmaster (Long Beach) model reel with a custom wrapped Daiwa rod. I got everything for $80 ($40 for the reel and $40 for the rod). I am happy with this to use for rock fish.

After I bought this, I showed it to my uncles and they all told me they have more rods and reels to give me. I'm stoked! Thanks for your guys help. I booked my charter trip this Thursday. So far there are only 10 anglers that have reserved their spot, hopefully it will be a good trip. Post to come with pics.