First off I'm sorry that I don't have any pics. I wasn't prepared and it was dark and I don't have a headlamp yet. But from here on out I'll have pics & prob video as I inherited an older GoPro as well and probably be posting that to YouTube and/or Fishbrain.

So I was thinking I want to truly become a better angler but I have no time. However if I sacrifice sleep, push myself, and wake up very early and go before work I can do it. So today I started.

I calculated that 3 a.m. wake up is needed to account for travel rigging up and clean up and then be a work at 7 am, giving me a solid 2 hrs of fishing. I knew it was gonna be hard, but it's already paying off because I landed my 1st halibut, then my 2nd all in the first 20 min! I am stoked.

I woke up a 3:30 a.m. and headed out to the AO and was on the sand at about 4 a.m. to fish the falling tide. Low tide wouldn't be until 10 a.m.

The conditions: light offshore wind, 1-2 ft waves, water temp 65° and it was still dark and couldn't tell if it was overcast or clouds. No salad.

Gear: baitcaster setup, low profile reel, 12# mono, with LC 110sp white-glow tied directly on.

After about 10 casts, near the end of my retrieve I started to slow it down and kept the rod tip down then ba-bam! Hit less than 10ft away from me. I set the hook and brought it quickly to shore which told me it was probably short. Was thrilled! Measured out at 17".

After releasing and checking my line and gear I cast a few more times and got hit again. This one put up about the same fight and I could tell again it was well below legal but I was stoked I caught a second! Measured out at 14".

Next I got a nasty birds nest that could not be redeemed. I had another rod but decided to wrap it up until another day.

My brother is gonna joining me tomorrow so I'm excited to go back out there and try for a legal.