Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with motor size/type

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Ok since it is a "Private" lake and I've never been there, how big and windy is Lake Arrowhead?
    I wouldn't know either. I know its smaller than big bear

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    I wouldn't know either. I know its smaller than big bear
    It's the same size as Irvine Lake, so it's not that big. What about the wind? Is it "anybody chime in" a very windy lake?

I'd say 5hp to 10 hp in your price range. When I had a tin can I ran a 5hp Briggs and Stratton ($800 brand new) and a 6 hp Mercury. Even the 5 hp Briggs got me around Diamond Valley. For Arrowhead, don't complicate it by doing a bunch of hand wringing. Just get whatever small motor comes along in your price range.

As a lad I had a 14 ft fiberglass tri-hull that weighed a ton. Two of us could not lift it off the ground. Had a trusty 9.9 Johnson on it that gave us plenty of power for all the local lakes and traveling down the coast from Santa Barbara to fish the oil rigs that used to be off of Carpinteria. Even got us out to Anacapa Island once! ONCE, that is, until our parents found out what we did! I would think a 10 hp would push you around just great. A 15 would get you zipping.

You guys gave me a lot to think about. Some conflicting thoughts though. I thought a 10hp was the minimum needed, but now I'm hearing maybe a 5 will do? It's not a huge lake, pretty mellow most of the time, but there will be 2-3 people in the boat. I think I'll try to find a 10hp used for now. If you know a good online used outboard source to shop for one, let me know.

Thanks again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo View Post
    You guys gave me a lot to think about. Some conflicting thoughts though. I thought a 10hp was the minimum needed, but now I'm hearing maybe a 5 will do? It's not a huge lake, pretty mellow most of the time, but there will be 2-3 people in the boat. I think I'll try to find a 10hp used for now. If you know a good online used outboard source to shop for one, let me know.

Thanks again guys!
    Good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 1977 Valco aluminum boat, 15'. All I have right now is a "30 pound thrust Prowler trolling motor" that came with it, but pretty sure that's not going to get it around the lake? I will be fishing Lake Arrowhead, in Souther California, a private lake which I have rights to fish.

Anyway, I want to buy a used outboard motor, but not sure what would be best? Would a used 15hp motor be ok? Maybe something even smaller if possible, I'm on a budget. Let me know what you think. Speed is not a necessity, I just need to get around the lake at a decent clip. Thanks guys!

6hp if fine for that lake

15ft 3 people, 15hp bro
    At least...

Cm

i dont have boat or motors ect. but for your trolling motor if you can mount it to pull your boat it will be better off for it. it will pull your boat easier then pushing it. you can always save more and use the trolling motor around where you launch to cruise shorelines and save and get a motor you really want. get a couple oars too and do the cheap way till you have enough to get what you want. 3 people with paddles can move that boat if you really wanted to be out fishing.. but also hit those other two up for some cash also if they are always gonna be out with you. gl.

Thanks guys, great help. Still searching for a 10hp motor. For some reason it's real hard to find. if you know of a good online source for used motors, let me know. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast