Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with motor size/type

Default Help needed with motor size/type

Hey guys, I have a 1977 Valco aluminum boat, 15'. All I have right now is a "30 pound thrust Prowler trolling motor" that came with it, but pretty sure that's not going to get it around the lake? I will be fishing Lake Arrowhead, in Souther California, a private lake which I have rights to fish.

Anyway, I want to buy a used outboard motor, but not sure what would be best? Would a used 15hp motor be ok? Maybe something even smaller if possible, I'm on a budget. Let me know what you think. Speed is not a necessity, I just need to get around the lake at a decent clip. Thanks guys!

Is it on a trailer or will you have to carry the outboard ? Thats your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangelo View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 1977 Valco aluminum boat, 15'. All I have right now is a "30 pound thrust Prowler trolling motor" that came with it, but pretty sure that's not going to get it around the lake? I will be fishing Lake Arrowhead, in Souther California, a private lake which I have rights to fish.

Anyway, I want to buy a used outboard motor, but not sure what would be best? Would a used 15hp motor be ok? Maybe something even smaller if possible, I'm on a budget. Let me know what you think. Speed is not a necessity, I just need to get around the lake at a decent clip. Thanks guys!
    I have a 9.8hp I'm selling for 600 bucks

Valco ? Wow! What a great find for you. Nice boats. Does arrowhead allow 2 stroke ? If so 25 Johnson is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKY View Post
    Valco ? Wow! What a great find for you. Nice boats. Does arrowhead allow 2 stroke ? If so 25 Johnson is your answer.
    Any reason they wouldn't allow it? 2 stroke Johnson sounds good. I really want to stay between 2-400 bucks for a used motor if possible.

Would something this small work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evinrude-3-...YAAOSwrptbE-qq

Again, 14foot Valco aluminum. NOT looking for speed, just enough power to move me around the lake.

Again, 14foot Valco aluminum. NOT looking for speed, just enough power to move me around the lake.
    I just got my 4 stroke 9.9hp mercury motor for 500 bucks

I have your boat (14 foot Valco) so I'm talking from experience. I have an 15hp and an 36 pound electric thrust on her. (I prefer to only use the electric) So this is the $64,000 dollar question. What lakes are you primarily interested in fishing??? It makes a difference on how much power you can get away with!! In a more windy lake, you can't get away with less power. For example, if you were primarily fishing a small lake like Corona lake, you could get away with next to nothing. But fishing a Big lake that is known for wind, you would need at least a 9.9hp for safety.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I have your boat (14 foot Valco) so I'm talking from experience. I have an 15hp and an 36 pound electric thrust on her. (I prefer to only use the electric) So this is the $64,000 dollar question. What lakes are you primarily interested in fishing??? It makes a difference on how much power you can get away with!! In a more windy lake, you can't get away with less power. For example, if you were primarily fishing a small lake like Corona lake, you could get away with next to nothing. But fishing a Big lake that is known for wind, you would need at least a 9.9hp for safety.
    He is only going to have it at lake arrowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    He is only going to have it at lake arrowhead.
    Ok since it is a "Private" lake and I've never been there, how big and windy is Lake Arrowhead?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast