Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Back to my roots - Jumbo bluegill

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Back to my roots - Jumbo bluegill

At seventy-five I know that I have many more fishing days behind me than ahead of me, so I made a goal to get at least one new personal best this year. Most of my fishing time up until about twenty years ago was spent panfishing, and I have caught a ton (literally) of bluegill and most of them were not weighed. But I was pretty sure I had never caught any over 2 lbs. As for redear, I had never fished much where there were large ones, 1 1/2 lbs would do it for a new PB. I live in Fallbrook, so even though it is a hundred mile round trip, San Vicente seemed to be the best bet for me. I may have been a little late to the party for redear. I saw pictures of four over 3 lbs that were caught in the two weeks before my first trip down on April 23rd. On that first trip I caught several bluegill and redear over 1 1/2 lbs, but none over two. That changed on my second trip a week later when I caught two redear over 2 lbs with the larger going 2lb 3oz. The 2lb 1oz bluegill came two weeks later on May 24th.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apr 30, 2018 1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	51135

Both of these redear over two pounds.

Name:	Apr 30, 2018 3.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	51136

This bluegill is a true dinner plate size fish (2lb 1oz.)

Name:	May 24, 2018 2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	51137

Compare redear and bluegill, both over 2 lbs.

Name:	May 24, 2018 8.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	51138

And just so I am not completely anonymous.

Name:	May 24, 2018 5.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	51139

Thanks for your indulgence. I haven't posted on here for a long time and thought maybe it was time to try it again.
    The best of Fishbreath.
    Last edited by Fishbreath; 06-02-2018 at 09:34 AM.