Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Running outboards at high altitude

Default Running outboards at high altitude

Hello Everyone,

I have a question, for those of you who fish at high altitudes with a boat and an outboard motor.

I have a 2017 8 hp, 4 stroke Mercury outboard motor on my boat. I have taken it several times to places like Convict, Rock Creek and Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) and it runs rich with poor idle.

For those of you who run yout outboards at higher elevation, are you encountering these same problems and is there a fix for it, other than changing the prop to a lower pitch?

Just wondering.

Thanks for reading.

Allen

I was talking to Rick Apted who runs the Marina at Lake Sabrina. He told me that they have their motors tuned for the 8,000 ft altitude by rejetting the carbs. Now, this was years ago so we didn't have computer controlled motors. Obviously it can be problematic if you are returning to low elevation after a few days, unless you enjoy tinkering with the carbs.

you might check your fuel line fittings, alot of the time, there's air getting in, and the computer in the engine reads that as lack of fuel, so it "overflows" the fuel into the carbs. If your ball on the fuel line keeps needing to be pumped up, theres your sign.