Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late DV report 5/24 and question

Default Late DV report 5/24 and question

Went out on Thursday the 2th. The algae bloom was out of control, most of the lake looked like a swamp. I managed to land a few, but I worked for them. Was wondering if anyone went out of the Memorial Day weekend, and if so how did the swamp look?

Sorry for the sideways pics....fighting with my computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	51104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	51105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4626.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	51106  
    Last edited by antsn37; 05-28-2018 at 04:00 AM.

algae looks terrible .. Fish look great... Thanks for the report

Quote Originally Posted by antsn37 View Post
    Went out on Thursday the 2th. The algae bloom was out of control, most of the lake looked like a swamp. I managed to land a few, but I worked for them. Was wondering if anyone went out of the Memorial Day weekend, and if so how did the swamp look?

Sorry for the sideways pics....fighting with my computer.
    We went Saturday and caught nothing to take a photo of. Out of about six fish, I believe the biggest wouldn't have made it to two pounds barely maybe kinda sorta...lol
    Algae was horrible and un-fishable in some areas. At least you got a couple of nice ones.
    I guess it's still better than dodging lake lice on Perris for Memorial Day weekend.
    We caught them on small swimbaits and creature baits. Still can't bring myself to dropshot and retie every other cast.
    What did you find that worked?

IMHO the Flathead Cats are wiping out all of the bass. Who was the idiot that stocked them into the lake?!!

they sure aren't wiping out all the bass- it was this guy named Tony that stocked them.. he owns the Colorado river- Google it if you don't believe me. Doubt the flatheads do more damage than stripers and wildly fluctuating water levels- bass should have a good couple years coming up

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    IMHO the Flathead Cats are wiping out all of the bass. Who was the idiot that stocked them into the lake?!!
    My Aquaview underwater camera says the Largemouth bass are doing just fine! I'm sure the Flathead's are more concerned with eating the shad and bluegills.

Flatheads eat EVERYTHING!

Flatheads eat EVERYTHING!
    There is flathead catfish in Santa fe dam and when ppl catch them the just let them go instead of keeping them

I have no doubt the flathead catfish, the stripers, and the drought years have had a real dramatic negative effect on DVL. I had no idea the sheer numbers of flatheads in DVL until i saw some data from DFG. And the problem with them is with the exception of the random accidental catch its hard to make any meaningful hit on their numbers. No night fishing at DVL and no live bluegill or goldfish for bait. So we are basically stuck with their numbers unchecked. I know the DFG use to on occasion shock up a bunch...1000s of pounds...to thin the heard, but probably just a drop in the bucket. Darn suckers came in through the aquaduct and probably still are as we speak..good old Colorado River originators. I betcha DVL has some real monsters in their. A whole buffet of bass, gills, shad, and whatever fits in their mouths at their choosing
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 06-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.

I remember reading all the hype about DVL "before" it opened. It had a Biologist who was going to make this the greatest fishing lake in all of California. The first few years it kinda lived up to it. But then the Stripers and the Flathead catfish got in there. Was there a way to have prevented that from happening? I don't know, but what I do know was the people who were hyping it up, "quietly got out of town before sundown!!!" lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-07-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast