I've got a lot of story's about a little bit of everything. Since this is a fishing website, let's tell some fishing story's on ourselves. In all these cases, "the fish won and I lost!" I don't know how many people are willing to tell on themselves, but believe me, you can't be any worse then myself. (So don't be afraid to confess)

I'll start first and only go back 20 years, so I don't look like a total Donkey! lol In everyone of these cases, I was fishing and got a bite and lost the fishing pole to the lake and never got it back! (there was plenty of other cases, where I got the pole back but we won't count those.)

Anaheim Lake

We were fishing for catfish in my boat and doing really well. When my friend Shaun hooked a catfish and it got tangled in the stern anchor rope. As I was untangling the fish off of the anchor rope, my pole got bit and before I could put my hands on it. Woosh over the side it went and never to be seen again.

SARL

Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's both SARL and Corona lake stocked a ton of Double digit trout. We caught them all the time, but the funny part was you couldn't catch them at SARL on powerbait. (you could at Corona) So trolling was the way to go for me for a DD trout at SARL. I would put 1 rod in the rod holder on my boat and lay a short rod on my back bench. (you could hear it scrap when it got bit) One day I was trolling by the spillway and the short rod got bit. Before I could grab it, over the stern she went. I then saw a big DD trout splash in the water that was hooked to my Rapala lure.

Corona Lake

Back in the early 2000's I had Corona lake wired. I caught both quantity and quality from that lake. I had a system to drift first for quantity in the mornings and then troll in the afternoon for quality. The Dam area always held a good population of quality Rainbow trout. The problem was it was a very popular spot and hard to troll that area except late in the day. I would go in a big circle with both rods in the rod holders. I didn't latch the rod holders top closed because when bit it was hard to get out quickly. In making a turn in the wind, a big DD trout bit the lure at the exact angle when the line was a perfect 90 degree's. The rod shot out perfectly out of the rod holder and into the drink. (never to be seen again)

La Mirada Regional Park

I was fishing with a slip bobber for catfish, when an #2.5 catfish inhaled the bait and kept swimming taking the rod with him. I was able to snag the line and get the catfish, but the rod was stuck in the lake and eventual the line broke, leaving the rod in the lake.

Another La Mirada story.

The water was very clear in the Spring and you could see both large Carp and LMB swimming around. I had leaned 1 pole behind a bucket fishing for Carp with corn. While I was messing with the Bass on another pole. A big Carp slurped down the corn and took off dragging the pole into the depths of the lake.

Ralph B. Clark Park

I was camped out fishing for catfish with Mackerel on the bottom. I had all the poles in rod holders but 1. The one pole was over a bucket 20 feet away from the water. I figured most catfish are slow biters, so what could go wrong? The pole got bit so hard, it knocked the bucket into the water and off went the pole into the water. To this day, I don't think a catfish would do that. I think it was a big Carp that was the culprit. My buddy the Carp fishermen had got them close to #30 pounds in there. Where as in La Mirada park lake we never got one over #20 pounds.

Those are my disaster story's with fish and my poles. If anyone else would like to share their own story's, go right ahead. It can't be any worse then one of my story's! lol