Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing a fishing pole to a fish!

I lost my pole to a carp in a pond that I was sneaking into before in West Covina. Then later that day I caught a snakehead out of the pond. True story

I lost a Phenix rod and a Curado Reel at Lake Skinner. My wife and I were striper fishing using swimbaits at the inlet. I had just told her to never leave her rod unattended. She was in the back of our boat and got hung up on the buoy line. I let my swimbait settle to the bottom and went back to give her a hand. I guess I don't have to tell the rest of the story.

Lost rod to a stingray on san clemente pier, I had the reel in gear because the bait clicker on the reel broke earlier in the day. took my eyes off of the rod to tie up my second rig and look up to see it doubled over and then flip over the rail as i was heading over to grab it. It hit the water and was very slowly sinking, I grabbed my other rod and was going to cast it at the rig when i saw it shoot away from the pier into the abyss...

side story, I once threw my rod into the ocean trying to make an underhand cast and the hook caught a piling. I was able to wrap the line from my second rod that was soaking bait right next to me, around the rod as it was falling and reel it back to me...

side story #2, I have caught more rods(3) than i have lost(1), one total piece of crap push button, one surf fishing style spinning rig i was able to return to its owner after telling the story to some friends the following weekend. and one pistol grip rod with an original shimano curado bantam on it. reel was full of sand but 3 bearings, new drag washers and a ton of elbow grease i had it rocking and rolling and fished it for years before cannibalizing it for parts to fix my "vintage" castaic that i've had for 20 years and still fish to this day when pitching kelp from the jetty.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I let my swimbait settle to the bottom and went back to give her a hand. I guess I don't have to tell the rest of the story.
    From experience, some big ole catfish prolly ate it. Apparently they enjoy waiting for stockers to die and settle to the bottom, and they eat 'em, like Quagga eating wings during Happy Hour.

I had an incident at DVL where I tossed a 10" Triple Trout and created a 'professional backlash,' so while it settled to the bottom, I picked out the backlash.

After 10 minutes, I started reeling in, and thought I had caught a tree.

Instead, a submarine length catfish came up to the depths, with the Triple Trout sideways in it's mouth. The fish was so big that the Triple Trout looked like a Rapala in the fish's mouth.

(Then my buddy, being the biatch that he is, refused to help me, and the fish ended up swimming away with my TT after popping 30# test)

But I didn't lose my 'pole' tho.

Back in college, mid -80's, a buddy and I were on a charter boat in S.F. Bay fishing for stripers. The boat had pole holders attached to the rail along each side and the deck hand would cast out all the lines and put them in the holders when we made a new stop to keep people from getting tangled. I was fishing with a cheap old crummy deep sea rod and reel with the old school Dacron line. when the deckhand grabbed my rod and casted it out, it backlashed and went out of his hands and into the bay! He felt terrible, was super apologetic, and gave me a loaner saying he would give me another, much nicer rod to replace mine. He tried to drag for it to no avail. I was actually pretty stoked at this point about getting a new set up! That is....Until one of the other fishermen reeled in some white Dacron line to which my pole was attached...bummer

I want to thank everyone for their story's! (good reads) If you fish a lot, your chances of it happening to you are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    From experience, some big ole catfish prolly ate it. Apparently they enjoy waiting for stockers to die and settle to the bottom, and they eat 'em, like Quagga eating wings during Happy Hour.

I had an incident at DVL where I tossed a 10" Triple Trout and created a 'professional backlash,' so while it settled to the bottom, I picked out the backlash.

After 10 minutes, I started reeling in, and thought I had caught a tree.

Instead, a submarine length catfish came up to the depths, with the Triple Trout sideways in it's mouth. The fish was so big that the Triple Trout looked like a Rapala in the fish's mouth.

(Then my buddy, being the biatch that he is, refused to help me, and the fish ended up swimming away with my TT after popping 30# test)

But I didn't lose my 'pole' tho.
    Was it a Flathead catfish or a Big blue?

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Was it a Flathead catfish or a Big blue?
    He didn't even know he was hooked until he got to the boat and we saw color. Definitely wasn't a blue. Perhaps a Flathead or a biiiiig Channel.

Last year at Silver Lake in the June lake loop I was throwing some jigs in the afternoon while my pops was farther up the shore baiting and waiting. He walked back to camp(camp spot was like 20 feet from his fishing spot) to grab a beer and when he got back his pole was gone from his rod holder. He came over to tell me because that was our lucky pole for the past 15 years. Anyways we were talking for a bit when I noticed a 4 pound trout kinda floating about 25 feet out. It disappeared and a minute later it floated back up about 15 feet away this time. I waded out about a hip deep and grabbed the fish.

There was a fishing line in its mouth so I called my dad over and he followed the line to about chest deep water and pulled out his pole. Guess it really is our lucky pole.

Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    Last year at Silver Lake in the June lake loop I was throwing some jigs in the afternoon while my pops was farther up the shore baiting and waiting. He walked back to camp(camp spot was like 20 feet from his fishing spot) to grab a beer and when he got back his pole was gone from his rod holder. He came over to tell me because that was our lucky pole for the past 15 years. Anyways we were talking for a bit when I noticed a 4 pound trout kinda floating about 25 feet out. It disappeared and a minute later it floated back up about 15 feet away this time. I waded out about a hip deep and grabbed the fish.

There was a fishing line in its mouth so I called my dad over and he followed the line to about chest deep water and pulled out his pole. Guess it really is our lucky pole.
    Nice story and thank you for sharing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast