Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trout plants

Default trout plants

question. whats up with the brownies? that's not usual. especially with the volume they are putting in. are they trying to get rid of something evasive in the lake? are they giving the stripers variety on there buffet? or did they
    pick them up less than wholesale

The DFG Southern California rainbow trout supply got contaminated. That's why there has hardly been any trout plants in So Cal. To make up for it Silverwood is getting browns.

Us OF's remember when they publicized SWood as becoming "The Crowley of the South" Had an oltimer named Del West who was the big dog bringin in some nice sized brownies. Wonder if there are some big ones in there who survived the Striper invasion? Anybody hearing of any brownies being brought in at all?

[billy b;79 Anybody hearing of any brownies being brought in at all?

Easy limits of browns when they are planted which has been two to three times a month since January, with a mix of rainbows.
    Last edited by sodapop; 05-05-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Any information on when the next stock is scheduled for either the brown or rainbow...

they been double stocking almost every week, lets just say im done trout fishing for the year lol, im guessing there making it up since there wasnt any trout plant last fall

Thank you for the update, I called the Marina and the lady said that she believed that the last stock went in on the 2nd of may? and that that may have been the last stock of the year due to the rising temp. She additionally stated that they are not told in advance of when the stock is planned, it's just the day of...
    I would like to become better at fishing for Bass, the only techniques that I know is the drop shot and the Texas rig. I have a fairly new boat, just lack the knowledge of fresh water fishing. Looking for a knowledgeable fishing partner to teach me the ropes in exchange for free fishing on my boat.

Sorry I don't do trout stocking date giveaways, not in my best interest. But on the brownie side, Silverwood has a fairly unique agreement with the DWR and the feds. where the DWR pays for a certain amount of poundage to go into Silverwood annually. The lack of rainbow supply's due to scheduled maintenance at the Mohave hatchery and unscheduled hatchery issues at others combined with an inventory of browns at the Fillmore hatchery allowed Silverwood to receive the browns, there have been quite a few rainbows also mixed in. Kwin would be the better source for completely accurate info. but I also believe that getting approval for the stocking of browns at Silverwood was less complex than it would be to get approval for other lakes to receive them. Mohave is now up and running and full of rainbows last time I was there about 3 weeks ago but unfortunately now Fillmore is down for scheduled maintenance and Mohave will probably be used to fill that gap. I'd suspect next year will be a little more "normal" on the stocking schedule locally but still a deficit in trout.

It would be nice to hear that browns will continue to be stocked in future years plants but I have not heard anything to indicate that is going to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Us OF's remember when they publicized SWood as becoming "The Crowley of the South" Had an oltimer named Del West who was the big dog bringin in some nice sized brownies. Wonder if there are some big ones in there who survived the Striper invasion? Anybody hearing of any brownies being brought in at all?
    The old browns have been gone for years. Del West was just one of the old guard chasing them. As a matter of fact the first big stripers caught at Silverwood were incidentally caught by those fishing for trophy browns. Lot's of great stories about the Wild Wild West at Silverwood, most cannot be repeated for fear of prosecution although I think the statute of limitation may have run out.

Trophy stripers have taken a huge hit at Silverwood caused by social media and those that don't understand that trophy fish take years in the making and even stripers have limited numbers of them. I still find it confusing that those that enjoy targeting these fish feel the need to keep every one of them, so many schoolies to be taken that taste better but hey got to get that Internet glory shot with a dead trophy striper!

FYI I caught and released a nice healthy 17-18" Brown on a crankbait Saturday. He wasn't playing around and slammed it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast