Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: What is going on with the stripers this time of year?

Default What is going on with the stripers this time of year?

Last summer, when the fish were boiling like crazy, trolling was the way to go. We were slaying them. Now the water's colder and the boils are nowhere to be found. The only fish I've seen pulled up my last few trips are largies on finesse tactics. What are the stripers doing this time of year? I can't seem to figure them out. Are they up in the coves or hanging out down deep? I've metered fish around Kong island but they're pretty scattered and it doesn't look like there are shad balls around for them to feed on any more. I read that shad head to deeper water when the temperatures drop but no sign of them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Patience but other than that I would be fishing the low light hours, very early morning 1 to 2 hours before light but that doesn't do much for a boater since this state doesn't seem to appreciate the fact boats do have lights.

True. By the time they open the gates the sun's already coming up.

well i go to castaic a lot man. sometimes i get there in afternoon and sometimes in mornings an sometimes just in off hours.. usually ill bang the shoreline for like 4-6 hours then get sick of it and leave. im mainly targeting largemouth. over the past couple weeks stripers have been off the westiside ramp off the rocks to south of it. im not targeting them but i have seen a few people snag some nice ones there. i think there was a catfish plant though.. which i never even knew they did at castaic and i think there is another one planned soon. so maybe the stripers moved up on them. there is also tons of fry everywhere and dinks in the shallows. i fish a lot 60 yards back to shore.. i rarely ever get a striper on largemouth type soft plastics.. mainly worms though. sometimes small soft plastic swimbaits. the funny thing i did a little tiny 1/8 oz float and fly method from shore one day only rig i did all day and scored two striper and a smallmouth and nice largemouth.. but thats the only time igot a striper from a super small bait go figure... it was around this time of year also.. the guys i see naililng the stripers are throwing more of your bigger swimbait types. and getting nice 3-4lb + stripers. also if you have boat check the very back buoy line on the left side of main lake by the damn in the far back. the stripers love to roam around there. i cant give a lot of advice. i just wait for fall rent a boat and chase boils in a rental and then its fun for them. though i just release em. gl out there.