Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happend to this site

Yeah I miss how it was also I have made a lot of friends in my ten years being a FNN member, most were PM friends and have gone else where and gone. Oh well its just a matter of fact that things are always changing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcds_0.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	51062  
    Last edited by old pudd fisher; 05-13-2018 at 10:39 PM.

it's because of all your freaking ridiculous arguments and witch-hunting remarks driving decent people away from this forum.

all you guys ever do is talk about trump or hillary or how you're not racist, etc.

you never post anything fun or cool, y'all just troll each other and repel people. to be honest people like you guys made me like fishing alot less. you should feel ashamed of yourselves for that alone. ...if any of you are capable of it.

Smokedogg,

A few points:

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    it's because of all your freaking ridiculous arguments and witch-hunting remarks driving decent people away from this forum.
    Remember when Obama was President? Remember DockRat? The 'witch-hunting remarks' and 'ridiculous arguments' were quite alive back then, even more so than now, IMO. Yet I never remember you raising your hand back then.

And, as many in the past have said, perusing General Discussion is your choice. I don't recall having to peruse General Discussion in order to get to the fishing related sections of this site. You're acting like we're forcing you to peruse General Discussion while holding your eye lids open.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    to be honest people like you guys made me like fishing alot less. you should feel ashamed of yourselves for that alone
    You let people you've never met on a website dictate your passion for a particular hobby?

That's....something.

I got to chime in on this comment, "of guy's like you made me like fishing a lot less." I know people fish for different reasons, but my favorite part of fishing now in my old age is the solitude. Sure I can go fishing with a group of fellow anglers and enjoy it. Or I can sneak off all by myself and have a great time!!! Just last night I found a park pond that hasn't been stocked in months. I landed 2 nice catfish and busted off 2 more. I'm going back soon and hope nobody see's me in there. Other people don't make or break my love of fishing. If they do, it's time to find a new hobby!

As I snuck off again to the secret spot last night to fish for some "holdover monster park catfish." I started to contemplate these threads about what happened to this site. The truth of the matter is, it went to more viewers reading the website but less people actually participating. The general feeling is of people who stated their opinion was somehow the GD section effected peoples participation. (By using logic) That would imply people would get all throff up in the GD section and then go on a rampage in the fishing sections. All the years I've been on this website that has only happened once!!! It was dealt with and many people spent time in the FNN jail for that. It hasn't happened since, yet many people imply that's what made the shift in this website.

I kept stating based upon talking to my friends I met on here and my own observation that the GD section was not the main culprit for the shift. I'm sure there are a few people who voted in the last Presidential election and stated who they were voting for on here. Who wouldn't want to be reminded of that fact. But other then that, most people are missing the point of what happened on here, if you believe the GD section is the culprit.

People by nature are sensitive to criticism. So if a person voluntarily spends the time and effort to post up a fish report. His expectations are of a positive response and not a negative one! If a person receives an negative response, he or she is not likely to post again! That is the true reason of the shift in more viewers then participators. I've stated this opinion several times in the past and it keeps going "RIGHT OVER PEOPLES HEAD!!!" Why do I say that?????? Because people keep doing it!!!

So with my apologizes to Seal in advance for making another long winded rant!!! Let's get started. I'm going to point out the 5 common negative type responses people give on here in regards to fish reports that the OP's get offended by. Let's see how many you recognize and say to yourself, "HE GOT OFFENDED BY THAT!!!" Yes he did and that's the real reason why this website shifted!!!

1. The Burn the lake and exact location response.

Some people are just paranoid and over estimate the impact of this website. So they give this response to the OP of a good accurate fish report. Thanks a lot buddy for burning my favorite lake and announcing on the Internet where the Bucket Brigade should head too next! Or stating the exact location of where the Bass were caught. (Such as in the trees at the East end of Lake Skinner) That will bring up responses from the readers like, now their will be 100 boats there this weekend.

2. That fishery is too fragile to write fish reports on.

I've got 3 great examples of that. Rush Creek, DD LMB caught in a park and any local mountain streams trout fishing. Any one dares write a fish report on any of those 3 topics. Prepare to go into an Phalanx formation and wait for the onslaught of criticisms.

3. The Jealousy angle.

Some people just can't stand to see other people successful or happy. There use to be a young man on here who wrote the greatest fish reports about Corona lake. I even remember his name and what he caught them on. (B line jigs) There was some fool from Nevada who drove all the way to Corona Lake to fish. For whatever reason this guy went on here and attacked the kids fish reports. I even remember the kids response, I write fish reports to help other people catch fish. (the fool then tried to back peddle a little) But by then it was too late, we never heard from that kid again.

I've got my own story on that one. Last year me and my friend had the best double limit of trout of our lives. But a long time member just couldn't handle our success. So he started a bunch of crap, which lead to him being shown the door. He even had the nerve to complain about being shown the door on another fishing website.

4. Questioning the fishing competency of the OP.

I saw this one recently again and it cost us another writer of fish reports. Nobody writes a fish report and wants every Tom Dick and Harry to read every word. Then to question the OP fishing competency. For example, do you know the difference between a jig and a lure? Or do you know the difference between a Bream and a Pumpkin-seed sunfish? The list is endless of dumb questions, but why people keep doing it, I'll never know because it just plain whizz's some people off.

5. Pure Haters

They join this website just to cause problems. There use to be this fool who watched Jess Ranch with Binoculars and then complain about their operation. He then would be an Arse to anyone who went trout fishing. (I guess he thought he knew something about that subject) I thought this fool was gone along time ago. But he showed up on 1 of my fish reports this year. I dropped a handful of quarters in front of him and when he bent over to pick them up. I kicked him so hard in the butt, he hasn't hit the ground yet. But he was just one of many of those kind of people.

Does any of this ring a bell with you people??? That's what in my opinion is what caused a shift around here. Not because there is a GD section!!!

p.s. I did all this contemplating while I was catfishing last night. I did catch the 2nd largest catfish I ever caught at this pond and broke off another one. So I didn't just sit there and think all this stuff up, I was fishing at the same time! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-30-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Very well put, Erik. I think the reduced activity on this site has nothing to do with politics, plus politics is too important and consequential to us nowadays to ignore. To do otherwise is to stick one's head in the sand like an Ostrich in my opinion. This is a fishing site so politics could be considered irrelevant, but this section is a non-fishing section, so naturally politics will come into play here.

I am glad that other people answered Smokehound, because he has been very friendly with me in the past, and I don't want to get into an argument with him.

By the way, my enthusiasm for fishing in undiminished, and as I write this, I am in a motel room in Mammoth with my wife. We have been trout fishing all week and had some nice catches in McGee Creek, the Rock Creek area, the Tuolumne area in Yosemite and the Virginia Lakes area. But it's mosquito season. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I am glad that other people answered Smokehound, because he has been very friendly with me in the past, and I don't want to get into an argument with him.
    Natural Left,

No offense, but this is the main issue; people who have the ability to engage individuals in a healthy discussion not raising their hand.

Now, I don't care if Smokehound responds or not, since we'll end up arguing semantics about this site, and I believe our stance on real issues are pretty similar, but people need to start speaking out about what other people say in a constructive manner. The day of sitting back and biting your tongue for the sake of the status quo are looong gone for me.

Check out this gem:

https://www.facebook.com/kristin.min...8391238198206/

And of course, I invite ANYBODY from any political affiliation, race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, etc to actively engage their political appointees with questions they may have. That's what makes this country great. Now, if those confronted cower in fear and refuse to actively engage and find the nearest exit?

Maybe that says something a lot more about them than the actual words that would've come out of their mouth if they did try to engage.

I know that you have an important and valid point about engaging people with opinions that diverge from mine, DS, but I am sure you have noticed that I do that, a lot more than most people on this site. Obviously, it's not a case of me being a silent observer here. What it is, is that I choose my fights, and Smokehound, who I believe is on my friends list in this site, is not a person I choose to fight with at this time unless he makes an issue of it. I have inferred that he has rather libertarian views, which I do not share, but we come fairly close or seem compatible in other ways. His coming out of the blue with what could be considered as including me as a target of his criticism is distressing to me. I don't know what prompted it, but I would urge him to reconsider it.

Yeah, I read about that woman confronting Pruitt, then somebody posted a video of it on my Facebook group today. That's definitely a good one, DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Yeah, I read about that woman confronting Pruitt, then somebody posted a video of it on my Facebook group today. That's definitely a good one, DS.
    NL,

Add Pruitt to the long list of the "very best" Trump hires.

Cant wait for the excuses.

The worst part?

Pruitt resigning helps fishermen. Considering this was a fishing based web site, I was expecting some type of reaction.

But hey! Make a few million, resign before you get indicted, and kiss 45s butt enough so that if you DO get indicted, you've got a pardon waiting for you.

God bless American politics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast