Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New species from the soup

Default New species from the soup

I can see why there are no reports lately once I got a to the beach today: murky wind-swell mix, cold water, no bait and floating veggies everywhere.

Well, started casting LC in what appeared as decent trough, only to see a family of beachgoers come from their house stairs and launch their SUPs right into it as if I was not there: Shocked:. I walked further down and see an even deeper trough and BAM! A massive bendo! I work it slowly on loose drag and let it run, catching a glimpse: not a shark or ray – the battle continues…

10 min later the frequent chop helped me land my first black spot fin croaker – it looked like giant corbina at first but the spot gave it away. The fish was only 2 ft long but extremely fat. Launched it back into the hole and a minute later it came back to shallows and butted me in a leg.. See ya later big boy/girl..No phone or pics – I didn’t expect much action..

As I explore the nearshore trough making mental notes of good future halibut visit, I get a bite. Feels small compared to last one and I casually bring in a 20” Hali – it felt so light and was patient , only splashing when unhooked and placed back..
    Not a bad 1.5 h of exploring, that spot can get great when conditions improve and the mud settles..

Thanks for the report,yeah that would of got my attention the fish bumping my leg!

Cya Tuna Vic

Nice!!
    You are the first person I ever heard of catching a spot fin croaker on an LC...
    Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    The fish was only 2 ft long but extremely fat.
    Only 2 ft long???? That's a nice spot fin, and on the LC too boot. Congrats on a new species...............Verne