Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Surf/jetty Rod and reel - southern ca

Default Surf/jetty Rod and reel - southern ca

Looking to get a daiwa salmon rod 8"6ft MH rated 3/8 to 1oz and pair it with a shimano sienna 2500 using 20lb braid to mainly use lures but sometimes bait and wait. Wanted to ask for advice on whether this setup is good or if anything can be changed to make it better? (Like a 3000 or 4000 reel instead? Or a shorter or longer rod? Or different power rod?)

Sounds pretty great to me, I usually use bass gear in the surf and off of jettys. My go to rod is a 6'1 MH Abu Garcia vendetta with a Diawa exceller spooled up with 30 pound braid.

What you have in mind will work perfectly fine.

If I changed anything it would be to get a 4000 size reel, for more line capacity.
    Also, go with no more than 15# line, so you can cast out further with the lighter plastics.

Have Fun!

Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Looking to get a daiwa salmon rod 8"6ft MH rated 3/8 to 1oz and pair it with a shimano sienna 2500 using 20lb braid to mainly use lures but sometimes bait and wait. Wanted to ask for advice on whether this setup is good or if anything can be changed to make it better? (Like a 3000 or 4000 reel instead? Or a shorter or longer rod? Or different power rod?)
    Funny I just order the same reel (RD version), but opted for a Daiwa FT Surf Spinning Rod 9' and some 8lb mono. The rod was only $20, but I'm a beginner so I'm not ready to pluck down a lot of cash until I know what I like. I'm targeting surf perch and you?