Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Would You Eat A Fish That Gave You Nightmares?

Default Would You Eat A Fish That Gave You Nightmares?

Today's Catch Was A Nightmare Goatfish!

Yesterday i went to the same spot & spent the day there till nightfall & caught a nice Bluefin Trevally. Today it was storming with high winds & sporadic downpours. So i stuck it out. I used a Lamiglas 11' Insane Surf rod popular on the East Coast of the USA for Strippers. I paired it with a Shimano Spheros 6000 SW spinner.

My bait was frozen shrimp tied to the hook using Atlas Mike's Miracle Thread. I spent the day under a tree with my umbrella. Then latter in the afternoon i heard the bell go off twice. But no run? So i brought the line in expecting a bait stealer took my shrimp. Turned out i hooked a Nightmare Goatfish on a BKN#22 circle hook. I was amazed the fish could swallow that!

If you eat the head of this Goatfish (some consider it a delicacy) you will suffer from nightmares. I've eaten the meat before & it's delicious. But i decided to release it back. The fish was tired from being over-powered on such a big rig & was weak. So i resuscitated it by "swooshing" it around in the water (on the vid i almost slipped on the muddy embankment while going down to C&R the fish).

Going fishing relieves stress & i usually will either release my fish or give it away. I was glad that this tired Goatfish sustained no damage & it swam off in a burst. A great way to spend a rainy afternoon:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPLkyYv0CJY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nightmare Weke.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	51041  

Cool looking fish,superstitions only effect supertistous people!

Cya Tuna Vic

Actually eating the head will give you hallucinations. Affects people differently, some get nothing while others respond severely. Not dangerous like Tide Pods, but is a well known local occurrence.
    Last edited by Scuba Chris; 05-17-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: sp.