Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lowrance or Hummingbird ? Which one should I buy?

Default Lowrance or Hummingbird ? Which one should I buy?

I currently have one Lowrance HDS7 Gen3 on the console but I need at least one more fish finder up at the bow. I am still learning the fish finders and I do not mind either of both fishfinder brands but not sure what fish finder and what size to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Whether you know the way to interpret a finder screen, there is no need to be ashamed. There are many anglers who are very experienced but they have never seen a finder in their entire life, especially the ones with sonar technology. Reading a fish finder could be complex, but it is very crucial to know this before you buy one.
    Some reference source I found, there are quite a lot of useful information, hope to help people with the same problem with me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gXKF3LD-4
    https://fishfinderbrand.com
    Last edited by Alexallen; 05-15-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Alexallen,

I bought a 5" Lorance for my front of the boat, mainly to keep the costs down. I just mainly use it for water depth and not locating fish. It works for me.

Might want to go with Lowrance so you can pair it with your console unit- but the Humminbird units look so nice! My eyes aren't great so I like the most screen size I can afford. If you're mounting the bow graph on a bracket, size won't matter, but if you want to flush mount it in the deck it will need to fit- unless you like cutting up your boat... "Do you feel lucky punk?"
    Last edited by bassnet; 04-27-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks for both of the tips. I am currently looking at the Lowrance Hook 7 Sonar X Mid/High/Downscan and also the Lowrance Hook2 7 Series Sonar X GPS SplitShot HDI but I am not sure which version I need since I already have a transducer and cable connection on the trolling motor from the previous boat owner. I also found the RAM mounts they look nice but which version is better reccomended?

The Ram Mounts are really, really great. I have them on both my console and front mount. They're a little "pricey", but worth the investment.

Reading a fish finder should be the primary concern while investing dollars on one. Why? The more accurate the reading, the more successful your session will be. No doubt, the Hummingbird is the market leader in manufacturing the best quality fish finder. The iconic model I'm currently using is the Humminbird 410940-1 HELIX 7 CHIRP MDI (MEGA Down Imaging) GPS G3 Fish Finder. This is the great value for money!

I would highly recommend checking out Massa Products Corporation. They are based in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Besides their Commercial and Industrial solutions, they were recently awarded a $32.4 million contract for the "design, document, manufacture, test, package and delivery of hydrophones" by the Department of Defense. I am sure they can scale down one of their submarine sonar systems to help you find the fishies.

Check them out at https://www.massa.com.

I ran lowrance for years on previous boats and had issues in Canada with GPS acquiring a fixed position. That and the over-all gps part & fish finder never worked like it should. Then I got the Humminbird helix series with mega side imagine, mega down imaging, chrip, gps - man is it nice. Works everywhere I have been every time. The accuracy is crazy spot on. I have one at the helm and one on the trolling motor. Its very very user friendly too. Definite game changer.

I'd say go for Lowrance.

I have 2 birds for sale if your looking with downscan and side scan, gps and sidescan transducer, with Ram mounts for $1k. one is a 7" 898c si and the other an 998c si