Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal best Leo ! and lost a giant !

Default Personal best Leo ! and lost a giant !

So this morning we thought we would give the bass at the lakes a break and hit the saltwater. Hit the sand around 7:30, it was a low tide and I honestly thought the bite wasn't going to be that great. BUT, a few casts in.. my dad hooks up on something that cuts clean through his line ! As soon as that happened to him I switched over to a wire leader and a couple casts later.. BENDO! after about a 10 minute battle we landed a 4'9 leopard shark! absolute tank! After a couple pictures, we let that big girl go.
    The very next cast after releasing the shark I hook up again! This shark hit the swimbait right in front of me, I would say it was 3 feet away from me. This one was A LOT bigger, I would estimate it to be right around 7 feet. It made a couple of big runs and on its last run it headed for deep water and didn't stop, COMPLETELY SPOOLED ME.
    All in all an amazing day out on the water, we lost a Toal of 7 sharks today and landed one. The video of catching the shark will be up soon on the GTEAM OUTDOORS Youtube channel.
    Cant wait to get back out there and do it again
    Tight lines everyone !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	51028

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	51029

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	51030

Wow that must have been one exciting morning! Very cool,made some memories with your Pop that day for sure!

Cya Tuna Vic

yes sir! the fight those things put up is amazing. Definitely going to remember that morning forever

Default leopard shark-where did you catch them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gteam View Post
    yes sir! the fight those things put up is amazing. Definitely going to remember that morning forever
    I haven't caught one yet. Can you help me out and tell me where you were?

Dave

As I understand you, you were throwing a swimbait on a wire leader? FWIW, the last few months there have been some "toothy critters" in very tight. In March i was spooled, 425 yards of 65 lb braid and 28 lbs of drag. As far as the leo goes....nice fish. One of my favorite targets, great fishing with your dad. Respect, Verne
    Last edited by vdisney; 04-25-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bedrocksamerica View Post
    I haven't caught one yet. Can you help me out and tell me where you were?

Dave
    If you have never caught a Leo before and you would like to catch numbers... Hit the Santa Monica pier area and cast out pieces of shrimp. It'll only take a couple minutes before the baby Leo's in the surf swim by and pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by vdisney View Post
    As I understand you, you were throwing a swimbait on a wire leader? FWIW, the last few months there have been some "toothy critters" in very tight. In March i was spooled, 425 yards of 65 lb braid and 28 lbs of drag. As far as the leo goes....nice fish. One of my favorite targets, great fishing with your dad. Respect, Verne
    Yes sir. The thought of fishing for the big Leos with swimbaits has NEVER crossed my mind but that morning proved me wrong. Haven't ran into a toothy critter yet, just Leos using those little teeth to saw through the line. My girlfriend was able to get one yesterday on the swimbait, wire leader seems to be the go to so they don't cut you off.
    thanks

nice catch! must of been a fun fight!
    getting spool is no joke but its something you'll remember and something that keeps bringing you back to the water.
    when i target them, i catch nothing, when i target perch i get them...go figure lol!

congrats on the brute and the release.

Nice Job!!! Just curious how slow did you fished your swimbait? I have a spot down south where there are always leopards milling around but none have touched my jerk bait or even chased it. Any info would be appreciated. Congrats again!

Very cool! Sorry you got spooled. My brother caught one of those Leopards in Anaheim bay on his kayak and it was just shy of 6' and it was at least 50lbs. It drug him around for 45 min. It was caught on a Phenix Black Diamond 15-40 and a Calcutta 200GTB, 50# braid, and I think the kayaks ability to be towed helped to provide even more cushion he was able to land it on somewhat lighter tackle. Definitely not shark tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast