Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Mullet Fishing Leader System!

Default Mullet Fishing Leader System!

My Simple Mullet Fishing Rig!

Does this rigging system work for catching mullet? Yes it does. Did it work today? Nope, the mullets got me today. Lol!

I may not have caught anything today but this type of leadering system does work. Been using this method of catching mullets from the shoreline for years. I learned doing this off Wailupe Point off Honolulu, Hawaii. Mullets don't "hit" lures or baits like most other fish do, rather they're like vacuum cleaners. I watch them suck in clumps of seaweed, then spit it out again after digesting whatever algae or organisms they just separated from the seaweed.

Mullets will eat the white part of bread. I'll show you what works for me. I'll demonstrate how i put my rigs together & the materials needed. Using nets or spearing them is faster, but certain areas do have laws regulating this species. Here in Hawaii mullet season is closed between December-March during mating season & the legal minimum size is 11in. You'll need to check your areas restrictions, if any first.

Sorry to say i had a bad day. Clearly there were fish around but nothing was hitting the bread. I then tried grubs & live crab for anything but still nothing. I did get my 4in CHL grub destroyed by a fish (my high-point of the day). When they do bite, it's a early day for me as i'm going home to clean mullet to be steamed.

I'll try again maybe next week, for whatever reason fish do have a "biorhythm" they follow. Some weeks are awesome while others are lean. Mullet fishing does require great patience (mine disappeared today, lol). For today i used a Okuma 10'9" T40X Drift Rod with a Shimano Stradic 3000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB8q4LAxA94
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover Pic.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	51027  

Scuba Chris.. Nice video! Thanks for sharing. I have hooked two very large Striped Mullets in Newport Harbor. One was snagged in the head, the other may have tried to eat my jig, but was hooked outside it's little mouth. These fish were big! About 5 to 6 pounds! And wow! Talk about strong fighting fish! I thought I had a bonita at first! Both were released unharmed, but I'm sure they were worn out. Cool looking fish, almost look like big minnows. They have strange looking eyes. I've heard they are good eating, but very hard to catch because they won't readily take any offered baits. Going to have to try the bread bait and your set-up. I have a feeling that it is going to attract mostly the abundant Top Smelt and Jack Smelt here in our Southern California harbors.

Sorry fishmounter, i don't get notifications on responces. You caught some MONSTERS! Recently my friend showed me a almost full proof way of catching mullet (nope, not netting, to efficient). Simplly tie a snap ball bearing swivel at the end of of line. Then a arm length mono leader. On the leader put a 1/2-1oz lead egg on it. Tie a large treble on the end. Bingo! Adding a skirt to the hook not only makes it legal (check your local rules) but it may attract other species as well. You can either spin cast in the blind to visually targeting the mullet.

Eating? I clean & gut the fish before frying or steaming. Put into a bowl. Cover with grated garlic/ginger(if you like that) & green onions (scallions). Then heat-up peanut oil to the point when a drop of water will jump all over the top. Pour the oil sparingly over the top a little at a time. This "locks" the flavors in. Then a light pouring of soy sauce (shoyu) over everything.