Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the last time...TAKE A CLEAR LAKE ROAD TRIP... PLEEEASE

Default For the last time...TAKE A CLEAR LAKE ROAD TRIP... PLEEEASE

This will be short "kinda". I was up there 2 weeks ago. Got there on a Weds stayed till Saturday. I rained Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Even took the boat out of the water on Thurs because it was just pouring. Anyways Weds night I went out to the dock to CHECK the bite just to see if I was gonna come out later. I ended up fishing till about 3 in the morning. THEN I started cleaning fish til about 5:30. Caught around 80-90. Threw a bunch back. Cooked 30 on Thurs and more than that on Fri. We were about 14 deep. My family from up north was there. Long story short I fished again Fri night(my daughter fishes with me too). I bought home 81 from THAT NIGHT. That's all my ice chest could hold, I didn't bring a bigger one, I had to take fish out and give to my uncle. I might have caught 25 for my wife and son too. My grandpa took 110 home he counted. My uncle from Sac, about 60( it was 3 of them). Other people had there share. AND THIS WAS IN THE RAIN with like 2 days off. If you like to catch crappie until you get bored... GO. Nothing like catching 11 slabs in a row. The pic of the basket is of the same basket.. But it was cleaned 2 other times.. I did not fish for bass or catfish at all, hence the grounded boat and pouring rain. But I will be back in June for some of that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clear lake crappie.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	51021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1_5.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	51022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1_8.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	51023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1_3.jpg 
Views:	169 
ID:	51024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180406_140928.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	51026

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    This will be short "kinda". I was up there 2 weeks ago. Got there on a Weds stayed till Saturday. I rained Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Even took the boat out of the water on Thurs because it was just pouring. Anyways Weds night I went out to the dock to CHECK the bite just to see if I was gonna come out later. I ended up fishing till about 3 in the morning. THEN I started cleaning fish til about 5:30. Caught around 80-90. Threw a bunch back. Cooked 30 on Thurs and more than that on Fri. We were about 14 deep. My family from up north was there. Long story short I fished again Fri night(my daughter fishes with me too). I bought home 81 from THAT NIGHT. That's all my ice chest could hold, I didn't bring a bigger one, I had to take fish out and give to my uncle. I might have caught 25 for my wife and son too. My grandpa took 110 home he counted. My uncle from Sac, about 60( it was 3 of them). Other people had there share. AND THIS WAS IN THE RAIN with like 2 days off. If you like to catch crappie until you get bored... GO. Nothing like catching 11 slabs in a row. The pic of the basket is of the same basket.. But it was cleaned 2 other times.. I did not fish for bass or catfish at all, hence the grounded boat and pouring rain. But I will be back in June for some of that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clear lake crappie.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	51021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1_5.jpg 
Views:	192 
ID:	51022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1_8.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	51023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_1_3.jpg 
Views:	169 
ID:	51024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180406_140928.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	51026
    Thank you for the report. What is the average size on these Crappy's???

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Thank you for the report. What is the average size on these Crappy's???
    I can only guestimate.. I shoulda weighted a few. I know that there were a FEW big ones. To where only 1 or 2 could fit in a 1 gallon freezer bag. I'd say close to a 1lb to 1 1/4. Next time I go I'mma get weighs and lenths. I'd say most are around 12 inches. These were substantially over those 10" minimums most lakes have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    I can only guestimate.. I shoulda weighted a few. I know that there were a FEW big ones. To where only 1 or 2 could fit in a 1 gallon freezer bag. I'd say close to a 1lb to 1 1/4. Next time I go I'mma get weighs and lenths. I'd say most are around 12 inches. These were substantially over those 10" minimums most lakes have.
    That's a good average size Crappie!! No catfishing??? I hear in May those 7-18 lber's real go off in some area of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    That's a good average size Crappie!! No catfishing??? I hear in May those 7-18 lber's real go off in some area of the lake.
    It rained too much.. I usually catfish out of the boat. Out from shore a little, or tied up to some tulies around the lake. But I'm going back in June... It's more like 9-18 lbs...Last year was probably the first time in a few years that I saw a few 3 and 4 lbers. It was unusual.. But 12-18 is almost guaranteed if you are out there trying (in the summer months). It's crazy.. Next to the tulies and shallow water you can catch them with bobbers.

nice slabs. thats when fishing is fun. clear lake is where tacticalbassin's guys are and they are killing it with hog largemouth for awhile now. nice trip.

That’s to easy!!! J/k..
    Ended up with 15 for a half
    Day....

Cm

I can confirm the average size of the Crappie at Clear Lake and their abundance, since we went there last year in April. It rained 3 days in a row last year too, and they eventually stopped biting, but the difference may have been that it was very cold last year, and a much warmer storm this year.

We were going to go there last week in fact, but my wife said that we went there last year so she wanted to go somewhere else. (She is that way. LOL) We went back to the place where we had caught some trout a few days earlier and they were still biting.

You didn't say how many people were fishing with you. Dores, but be careful to do so. The limit is 25 Crappie or panfish total, so when you "I went fishing" and brought home 81 fish that could give the wrong impression.

Which docks were you fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I can confirm the average size of the Crappie at Clear Lake and their abundance, since we went there last year in April. It rained 3 days in a row last year too, and they eventually stopped biting, but the difference may have been that it was very cold last year, and a much warmer storm this year.

We were going to go there last week in fact, but my wife said that we went there last year so she wanted to go somewhere else. (She is that way. LOL) We went back to the place where we had caught some trout a few days earlier and they were still biting.

You didn't say how many people were fishing with you. Dores, but be careful to do so. The limit is 25 Crappie or panfish total, so when you "I went fishing" and brought home 81 fish that could give the wrong impression.

Which docks were you fishing?
    CM... it does get easy when you get tuned in. The horrible part is when you go like 6-7-8 minutes without a fish...

Lefty... it was 14 licensed adults PLUS 2 kids.. I kept most the uncleaned fish caught the last night. But I only brought a 40 QT cooler that needed some ice plus fish. I had to close it. The only dock we fished was at Indian Beach. Im sure they are all over tho. Past years at Blue Fish Cove resort and then Jules over in the south side all produce. But I was at rattlesnake Island last year and the crappie were everywhere. But again this time, didn't take the boat out.

Wow. that's a lot of people. I wish we had gone to Clear Lake this time but my wife wasn't agreeable. We mostly fished the state park and a fishing pier in Lucerne last year. Are Indian Beach and Blue Cove Resort open to the public? We were staying near there at Lake Marina Inn. It's in between the other two on the map in fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast