Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bedding Largemouth

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I believe Kwin also said that the striped bass population has zero effect on the bass population as well.

I see a pattern here.

Maybe the question we should ask him is what DOES affect the bass spawn in our lakes, because predation, water level fluctuations, lack of forage and over fishing don't. We must have super fish in our lakes.
    I never said that.

The situational ethics with this issue within the fishing community astounds me. smh

Bed fishing has no effect on bass populations. It has been legal in CA forever and productive bass populations persist.....everywhere.

i will also say last year at castaic kinda sucked for me i was limited when i could go and everytime i went it was right after they lowered the water. but towards the end of spawn i saw a ton of fry so just because the water is changing levels and throws off the fishing dont think the bass wont spawn. the tournaments where they do 5 bag arent every weekend at the lake though. there were also studies with caught and released tournament fish that the bass made it back to their beds. i dont think even if you had a tournament every weekend with 100 boats pulling 5 fish each and keeping them it would mess with the spawn(if anything it would make largemouth fishing better)(but thats too advanced for now). now some areas are worse then others. but in so cal our lakes are thriving. almost every fish i catch is healthy rarely do i catch super skinny fish if ever. though i have seen a few i think those fish were either sick and dying or something because i rarely see sick looking fish or malnourished fish. you wont be able to miss all the fry though. i havent heard of any major fish die offs at castaic ever. this isnt the old days where you could go to one spot in a lake and catch the same fish every week year after year though i dont think castaic has ever been like that its man made and so has a **** bottom so the fish are very active and move a lot. now for regulations protecting fish beds in the ocean i agree with most of those fish are fished commercially and that is where you have all your real world problems when it comes to fishing. shore and boat guys at the lake are not a problem even during spawn. thats a fact. simple fact about a lake the only time you can ever outfish a lake is on opening day.. and our lakes are way past that. and to think of the few species we have in our lakes making people think the fishing is hard.. tell that to the japense that have a ton more species in their lakes. if you truly want lunks you have to have drive and passion. those days you think about fishing go fish. but truthfully ill take less pressure at castaic...yes someone can catch a record their first day out.. but the reality is most those guys know their waters and can go in those waters and pull fish all year. they know how to fish their lakes. and they didnt learn that their first day out. spawn doesnt gurantee anything. in fact when i talk to the guys who know more about bass fishing then anyone i know says that spawn is also one of the hardest times to catch a lunk. big bass are also closer to death and the more bulged out eyes the closer they are to it. big fish will die off naturally. others replace them. even in europe some huge carp in small areas like the lagoon where they keep tabs on basically every fish caught. some of the big ones arent caught for years at a time... then all a sudden someone catches it.. also the trout plants are gone so that was like a boost to bass growth that is already proven to add tons of weight to them.. so now the lagoon just has slower growing fish. but still has lunks ive seen them jump and the upper though is where i think the next record is coming from. the lagoon was where people were hoping to have a easy record pop from is all.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 04-16-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    I never said that.

The situational ethics with this issue within the fishing community astounds me. smh

Bed fishing has no effect on bass populations. It has been legal in CA forever and productive bass populations persist.....everywhere.
    Yep LMB's seem to be in just about every body of water, don't think they are in any danger. But what about the shad at Silverwood Kwin? Just kidding.

Off topic question. Are the browns being planted diploid or triploid? Response I've gotten is probably triploid but thought I'd get the straight poop if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yep LMB's seem to be in just about every body of water, don't think they are in any danger. But what about the shad at Silverwood Kwin? Just kidding.

Off topic question. Are the browns being planted diploid or triploid? Response I've gotten is probably triploid but thought I'd get the straight poop if possible.
    only shad I've seen recently in silverwood are the anadromous type. browns are trips as far as I know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123