Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time freshwater fishing, tackle recommendations?

Default First time freshwater fishing, tackle recommendations?

I'm planning a trip up to Big Bear and really want to try my hand at freshwater fishing, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I only have saltwater spinning rods, is there such a massive difference that I can't use them in freshwater? I'd like to avoid having to buy a whole new set up, but I will if necessary! I'm interested in catching largemouth, trout, and carp at this point, and I would be going out in a boat, not shore fishing.

LadyLing,

You can probably get by with your ocean gear; but you'll need to pick up some fluorocarbon line, in say, 2-4 pound test and tie a top shot leader on your ocean line. I would recommend at least a 6 to 8 foot long leader. It will probably be a pain in the a** to cast; but you could get by with it. If not that go to Walmart and pick up a cheapy spinning rod/reel combo and some fluorocarbon line for a leader / top shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    LadyLing,

You can probably get by with your ocean gear; but you'll need to pick up some fluorocarbon line, in say, 2-4 pound test and tie a top shot leader on your ocean line. I would recommend at least a 6 to 8 foot long leader. It will probably be a pain in the a** to cast; but you could get by with it. If not that go to Walmart and pick up a cheapy spinning rod/reel combo and some fluorocarbon line for a leader / top shot.
    Thanks so much! Yeah I'll probably just get a new basic set up, nothing fancy. If nothing else it will be an investment since I plan to start freshwater fishing more regularly. :)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLing View Post
    Thanks so much! Yeah I'll probably just get a new basic set up, nothing fancy. If nothing else it will be an investment since I plan to start freshwater fishing more regularly. :)
    When you're looking for any "Hot tips" on where the bite is happening in the Fresh water. Go ahead and ask on this board. There is a few on here who will share some pretty hot info!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    When you're looking for any "Hot tips" on where the bite is happening in the Fresh water. Go ahead and ask on this board. There is a few on here who will share some pretty hot info!!
    Oooh good to know! Yeah for Big Bear I've read that Eagle Point is good for bass.

Trout fishing this early in the year is the best bet, I am a bass fisherman but summer is the only time i catch bass in BBL. I've not fished from a boat there and recommend paying for a guided trip if you can afford it. There are lots of guys trolling for trout with great success but i wouldn't know the first thing about it. I catch trout around the dam and the western north shore on powerbait, jigs and roostertails. as for rods I'd get a 4-10lb spinning setup, you'll be about to use it for the large trout and finesse bass fishing at any lake in SoCal, just change out the line size accordingly, or leader/topshot if you like.

Oooh good to know! Yeah for Big Bear I've read that Eagle Point is good for bass.
    In fishing for trout in a boat at Big Bear lake, there is 3 good way's to catch them. Troll for them with or without lead core line. Power bait fishing, drifting or anchored up. Or last but not least a slip bobber with a night crawler on for bait. (drifting or anchored) Once again the people at the Marina tackle store are very helpful on what and where the fish have been biting best.

Yeah eagle point is a good spot for bass. But you might want to try the north shore because that should warm up faster and the bass will start to spawn. Check out Juniper point, Dana point and windy point. And try the red house near the damn for trout. And I just saw an ad in big 5 for a bass and trout rod set up for I think 30 or 40 bucks. Good luck if you need anymore information on the lake you can pm. I’ve been fishing that lake since 1989 when my parents first got there cabin up there.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Yeah eagle point is a good spot for bass. But you might want to try the north shore because that should warm up faster and the bass will start to spawn. Check out Juniper point, Dana point and windy point. And try the red house near the damn for trout. And I just saw an ad in big 5 for a bass and trout rod set up for I think 30 or 40 bucks. Good luck if you need anymore information on the lake you can pm. I’ve been fishing that lake since 1989 when my parents first got there cabin up there.
    Aaaah! Thanks so much, this is great info, and sweet I'm right near a Big 5 I'll be sure to check it out soon. Don't think I won't take you up on that as the trip gets closer! Also, I think it's awesome that you have such a tradition of going; hoping to get that started for myself as well. :)

At this point I'm a Penn fan, but I'm reading a lot of good things about Shakespeare Ugly Stiks. I'm between these:
    https://smile.amazon.com/USSP602M30C...tik%2Bgx2&th=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/Penn-Battle...attle%2B2&th=1
    https://smile.amazon.com/PENN-Pursui...H2A8ABG8W&th=1

Any other recommendations? Obviously the Shakespeare is more economical, but I'm not averse to spending for something that I'll have for years down the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast