Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time freshwater fishing, tackle recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLing View Post
    Aaaah! Thanks so much, this is great info, and sweet I'm right near a Big 5 I'll be sure to check it out soon. Don't think I won't take you up on that as the trip gets closer! Also, I think it's awesome that you have such a tradition of going; hoping to get that started for myself as well. :)
    If you shop at Big 5 look for the $10 off coupons on anything over $30. There in the Value pak that comes once a month in the mail.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-29-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Aaaah! Thanks so much, this is great info, and sweet I'm right near a Big 5 I'll be sure to check it out soon. Don't think I won't take you up on that as the trip gets closer! Also, I think it's awesome that you have such a tradition of going; hoping to get that started for myself as well. :)
    My wife and I are looking to get a place up there because just as of November of last my parents sold their cabin. If you want to get a hold of me you can do it on instagram look up bowler23_99 on there I’m on that more then anything. And you can check out my friends YouTube channel re:cast fishing in SoCal.
    Get a rod and reel that you can use in both fresh and saltwater. I have a rod that I got for 20 bucks and a reel I got on clearance for 20 bucks. I’ve gotten halibut, spotfin croaker and even largemouth bass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    My wife and I are looking to get a place up there because just as of November of last my parents sold their cabin. If you want to get a hold of me you can do it on instagram look up bowler23_99 on there I’m on that more then anything. And you can check out my friends YouTube channel re:cast fishing in SoCal.
    Get a rod and reel that you can use in both fresh and saltwater. I have a rod that I got for 20 bucks and a reel I got on clearance for 20 bucks. I’ve gotten halibut, spotfin croaker and even largemouth bass on it.
    That's simultaneously great and too bad. Were your parents just not making it up there as much as they used to? And thanks, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I don't have an instagram hahaha, but maybe I'll make one exclusively to record my catches. :P
    I *did* already check out the channel, I confess. It's pretty cool, very fun and interesting videos to watch!
    Any particular reason why, when I've got several saltwater rods? Yeah since I'd be making it out to Big Bear less than I'd be fishing offshore here it would probably be wise to keep my rod-spending to a minimum.

That's simultaneously great and too bad. Were your parents just not making it up there as much as they used to? And thanks, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I don't have an instagram hahaha, but maybe I'll make one exclusively to record my catches. :P
    I *did* already check out the channel, I confess. It's pretty cool, very fun and interesting videos to watch!
    Any particular reason why, when I've got several saltwater rods? Yeah since I'd be making it out to Big Bear less than I'd be fishing offshore here it would probably be wise to keep my rod-spending to a minimum.
    Yeah they were not using it that much. Me and my wife used it more then they did. Plus they never want to rent it out. Me and my wife want to rent ours out so we can make some money off it. I have 4 custom made saltwater pole my cousin make me about 17 years ago and they are still doing good. Btw I live close to about 6 Asian markets with in 10 miles of my house, 2 of them our a mile down the road.

Yeah they were not using it that much. Me and my wife used it more then they did. Plus they never want to rent it out. Me and my wife want to rent ours out so we can make some money off it. I have 4 custom made saltwater pole my cousin make me about 17 years ago and they are still doing good. Btw I live close to about 6 Asian markets with in 10 miles of my house, 2 of them our a mile down the road.
    Ahh makes sense. Well maybe I'll end up renting it from you, if you'd allow it haha! Oh woah, awesome... yeah I don't think I'm ready to step up to custom builds yet. Also, how convenient for you, are you in the downtown area? I'm in West LA.

Ahh makes sense. Well maybe I'll end up renting it from you, if you'd allow it haha! Oh woah, awesome... yeah I don't think I'm ready to step up to custom builds yet. Also, how convenient for you, are you in the downtown area? I'm in West LA.
    No I’m in the San Gabriel valley area. I’m in the Filipino area of West Covina. Well my cousin only charged me 120 bucks for each rod. I used to help him on one of the boats he worked on. He gave me three nicknames: stretch, goofy and Ronald McDonald. Now I have a new nickname from my coworkers it’s Pikachu. How long have you been fishing for? Daveys locker has overnight trips for rockcod for 120 bucks.

No I’m in the San Gabriel valley area. I’m in the Filipino area of West Covina. Well my cousin only charged me 120 bucks for each rod. I used to help him on one of the boats he worked on. He gave me three nicknames: stretch, goofy and Ronald McDonald. Now I have a new nickname from my coworkers it’s Pikachu. How long have you been fishing for? Daveys locker has overnight trips for rockcod for 120 bucks.
    Ahhh, gotcha. Wow! You lucky bug, you... both about the rods and helping out on the boat. I dreamt of doing that when I was little. Hahaha nice collection of nicknames, I've never had one that wasn't a variation of my name. Why Pikachu though? I went fishing for the first time when I was maybe 8, but only went maybe 3 or 4 times over the next decade and a half just due to my parents not really being able to take me/a lack of personal income. I just graduated college though, so now I've got more predictable free time and I decided that I was going to seriously get into fishing back in October. I try to go at least once a month at this point. I've definitely learned a lot, but it's crazy how much more there is to know!

Daveys locker has overnight trips for rockcod for 120 bucks.
    OH and yeah I went once in newport for a half day but the fishing wasn't great. Lots of little whitefish.

OH and yeah I went once in newport for a half day but the fishing wasn't great. Lots of little whitefish.
    Yeah lots of small white fish near Newport but long beach area has some bigger ones. I think they call me Pikachu because I used to spike my hair up. I'm going to dm you so we can talk there more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast