Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over-night fishing trip & lingcod advice

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLing View Post
    "Bucket"
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...8?recordNum=13

No octopus this time, they're a smidge too wily for me! I'll file that knowledge away for the future though, should I ever drag a poor octopus out of the briny depths. Yeahhhh it would be unfortunate if the bait tanks aren't on, but freshly dead bait is still better than freshly frozen dead bait, no? And ok, that sounds do-able.
    You can buy fresh dead octopus at Asian markets. I go to them to get my shrimp and squid i use for bait. FYI the squid is a lot cheaper there then buying it at a bait and tackle shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    You can buy fresh dead octopus at Asian markets. I go to them to get my shrimp and squid i use for bait. FYI the squid is a lot cheaper there then buying it at a bait and tackle shop.
    Hadn't thought about that! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any Asian markets close enough to me that going right before fishing would be worth it. Just in case though, how much do you ask for? And how much does it run you compared to getting bait at the tackle shop?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLing View Post
    Hadn't thought about that! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any Asian markets close enough to me that going right before fishing would be worth it. Just in case though, how much do you ask for? And how much does it run you compared to getting bait at the tackle shop?
    In the Asian market the squid runs about 3 to 4 bucks a pound and in the tackle shop it’s 7 bucks for one tray which is 1lb

LL
    I've always fished out of Santa Barbara's Stardust Sportfishing for lings, snapper, etc. Octopus is the best ling bait, but if none is available use whole dead squid. Also, I always use either 50# or 65# braid and use the triple surgeons knot to attach leaders no bigger than 20# test. Most of the time I use 15# mono for leaders, which can easily handle the 12 oz. torpedos with a 8-20# ling attached, PLUS I get bit more using the lighter leader (I always catch more than a limit of lings). Lings also love baits that move and always are on the attack mode, so move your dead bait up and down 5-10 cranks often. Lings also go for big jigs or swim baits, and don't be surprised if a ling hits whatever you're offering on the way down. I find that using 5/0-7/0 wire type hooks work the best (Owner, Gamakatsu, and Eagle Claw) so hooks are used by preference. Also check the fish counts for the landings and the weather forecast before booking to ensure a trip to the islands where the fish are at.
    Have Fun and Tight Lines !
    TTFM

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    LL
    I've always fished out of Santa Barbara's Stardust Sportfishing for lings, snapper, etc. Octopus is the best ling bait, but if none is available use whole dead squid. Also, I always use either 50# or 65# braid and use the triple surgeons knot to attach leaders no bigger than 20# test. Most of the time I use 15# mono for leaders, which can easily handle the 12 oz. torpedos with a 8-20# ling attached, PLUS I get bit more using the lighter leader (I always catch more than a limit of lings). Lings also love baits that move and always are on the attack mode, so move your dead bait up and down 5-10 cranks often. Lings also go for big jigs or swim baits, and don't be surprised if a ling hits whatever you're offering on the way down. I find that using 5/0-7/0 wire type hooks work the best (Owner, Gamakatsu, and Eagle Claw) so hooks are used by preference. Also check the fish counts for the landings and the weather forecast before booking to ensure a trip to the islands where the fish are at.
    Have Fun and Tight Lines !
    TTFM
    Hey TTFM! Thank you so much for the thorough information, I'll definitely put it into practice on my next outing haha. Unfortunately the lingcod gods ignored my pleas so I didn't catch one today, BUT IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN EVENTUALLY. *shakes fist* This is just incentive to go more often, if nothing else.

LL
    Check out this Stardust Sportsfishing report out of Santa Barbara on the Coral Sea. Limits of lings come easier than most ppl think with the help of the great crew.
    https://www.stardustsportfishing.com...3-4-day-4-4-18
    TTFM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12