Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: kids trout pond fishing

Default kids trout pond fishing

So I've been itching to get my 2 sons (ages 4 and 6) out fishing without making it a huge trip out of it. The only time they had attempted fishing was on a vacation out at a private lake out in palm springs with some other of their friends. That day we caught a bunch of bluegill and a catfish, but they weren't involved in the rigging up process, etc. So I decided to try out the MT. Baldy Trout pond yesterday. Since its not too far from us, we packed up some gear and clothes decided to head up there. The night before I grabbed the 2 little crappy spin-cast combos I got for them just to try out and we practiced using them and casting, etc.

From what I was reading is that you pay 1$ for bringing your own set up or 2$ to rent theirs. They have a selection of beat up fly reels because the pond isn't very big and you get a shot glass of the magic bait that they make there. Also you pay for each fish you catch, which isn't that cheap since word was that the fish where large. Some folks said they averaged about 40$ for the day for a few fish. I figured what the hell, the kids are almost guaranteed fish and thats worth the price for me to get them "hooked" (#dadjokes) on fishing!!

So we scope out the place and there was 2 little ponds both teaming with large trout of various kinds. There was a sign on the gate saying that the fish are going for 12-18$ each cuz of the sizes!? oh well. The kids where excited to see all the fish and we watched other families catch some fish so I can show them how it goes. When I got to the window the girl gave me a bucket, towel, and 3 shots of the magic bait ( no chaser). then I told the boys to grab a net. I decided to just use are gear since (even in its pre owned condition) was in better shape than theirs. I showed them how to put the bobber on, and how to tie the knot on the hook. We decided to try some mini jigs and grubs just so they can practice first before we put the bait on.

after a couple of scoldings because they where trying to play "star wars" with the rods, we got settled into a spot. My oldest grabbed his rod and had a purple split tailed grub tied on with the bobber on top and practiced casting and retrieving. We where surprised to see the fish reaction when it hit the water, it was like watching piranhas!? LOL He was shocked, and excited. Soon after he casted, a monster hit that lil grub and it was on!! His reaction was priceless! they where freaking out! (so was I) his teamate (aka the netmaster) was ready to scoop up the big guy and they got him on the shore. They where screaming with joy! I quickly scooped some of the water into the bucked and we dropped the fish in there.

Then my youngest got a turn and he was having issues with his lil set up. after I tried to fumble with it I said screw it and went back to his brothers rod. he practiced a few times and got the hang of it. He had a white grub with a curly tail tied on and was tossing into a spot where the fish where not, cuz they moved to the other side where there was more shade. Then he reared back and casted, but threw it so hard it went across the pond and almost took out a lady on the other side!
    we all chuckled and he tried again. then we watched as the swarm attacked the lil grub and finally after 2 spit it out, one snagged it and it was on! He was reeling it in nice and easy and his big bro was ready with the net. They brought that one aboard and it was another fatty, he called a "tanker fish". Again screams of Joy and excitment! we put him in the bucket and next it was my turn. I had a little spinner combo and a lil tube jig. I found a spot and chucked it into the water and watched a few go after it. A second cast later and I got one, it wasnt as big as the other ones but I was cool with that. We grabbed him and took some pictures and decided to wrap it up. They cleaned, iced, and bagged it for you too which was nice.

The boys had a blast and it ran me 50$ for 3 big fish, but it was well worth it!
    Sorry so long of a post but I thought Id share!
    peace
    M

When I first saw your post I thought,that looks to long to read,but I was pleasantly surprised well written and pretty cool stuff to read about your kids experience.
    Reminds me of when I took my son at 3yrs old to Happy Jacks over 39 yrs ago,if I recall 3 trout cost me $15 dollars and I thought that was outrageous then!
    For $50 for 3 fish I sure hope it was a “BIG” bucket! Nice going Pop.

Cya Tuna Vic

Good job Dad. The best $50 you could have spent to leave the boys with a memory they will not forget! Beats the heck out of a video game!

That's a great post! Nothing beats taking your kids for a successful fishing trip, especially the first one. I did the same thing with my kids many years ago at Troutdale in Agoura. Like your $50, it was well spent.