Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Pacific Garbage Patch now three times the size of France

Quote Originally Posted by bmachale View Post
    It is mostly trash from Asia. I lived there for three years. I can tell you from experience they are responsible for 98% of the plastic washed out to sea. Good luck getting them to change. They sign treaties that they laugh at and are already breaking before the ink dries. Do all you want here. Wont make a dent in that collection.
    The study estimated half of it comes from fishing nets (i.e. commercial fishing) and 20% from the Tōhoku tsunami. As to where the remaining 30% comes from I will leave to the scientists, FNN experts notwithstanding.

Enforcing treaties on open-sea commercial fishing is challenging, to say the least. Fishing gear is lost; whether accidentally or on purpose, it should fall on that industry to monitor, report, and fund the clean-up for it's portion of the mess.

Maybe instead of spending money on studies they use all that money the environmentalists give to politicians and use it to fund a clean up.
    Save the rhetoric. The studies are necessary, not only to identify the scope of the problem, but also to fend off the critics who would say that without the studies, any claims about this problem would be baseless and anecdotal (in their cynical, disingenuous minds).

On the bright side. It is a giant kelp paddy. I bet there is more life around that thing than any other open ocean area. If you clean it up you are just destroying the ecosystem that developed around the pile of trash like they do when they blow up old oil rigs teaming with life. Killing all the fish. Hundreds of thousands of them To make it safe for fish?
    It's not a kelp paddy. It's a big floating pile of trash. Composed mainly of materials used to kill fish. It is not an ecosystem; it is environmental pollution within an ecosystem. If you have any evidence to back up your bet of the ecological benefits of this pollution, by all means present it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    If you have any evidence to back up your bet of the ecological benefits of this pollution, by all means present it.
    I dunno.

I for one appreciate anecdotal evidence and research that begins with, "I read on the Internet that...."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I dunno.

I for one appreciate anecdotal evidence and research that begins with, "I read on the Internet that...."

....well that's what I heard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post

....well that's what I heard!
    So you don't think we'll get a study that shows a garbage patch in the ocean is as environmentally sound as a kelp paddy?

Maybe it's the latest development in aquaculture.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    So you don't think we'll get a study that shows a garbage patch in the ocean is as environmentally sound as a kelp paddy?
    Only if TheBlaze or Breitbart fund it......

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Maybe it's the latest development in aquaculture.

Fact turtles see plastic bags , see food >>that thing looks like a jelly fish . Whales when cut open loaded with styrene pallets . Walk any beach >> trash plastic anything that will float << will end up on a beach . Or float subsurface and move along the bottom with currants . Birds all eat dam near anything they can pick up . Who’s blame does it really matter? , the world eats this fish shell fish , we eat fish that don’t stay in one place . NYC used to dump off shore Los Angeles used pump through a outfall pipe . Right out In ocean Monsanto Douglas and many refineries pumped millions of gallons of Sh—t untreated in the water . Do I know what Asia does I could only guess what’s answer . This isn’t only ocean this happening in .

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtogo View Post
    Fact turtles see plastic bags , see food >>that thing looks like a jelly fish . Whales when cut open loaded with styrene pallets . Walk any beach >> trash plastic anything that will float << will end up on a beach . Or float subsurface and move along the bottom with currants . Birds all eat dam near anything they can pick up . Who’s blame does it really matter? , the world eats this fish shell fish , we eat fish that don’t stay in one place . NYC used to dump off shore Los Angeles used pump through a outfall pipe . Right out In ocean Monsanto Douglas and many refineries pumped millions of gallons of Sh—t untreated in the water . Do I know what Asia does I could only guess what’s answer . This isn’t only ocean this happening in .
    You're correct.
    That's why we need to tear down the EPA and get out of the Paris Climate deal. (sarcasm intended)
    Also we need more military stuff so lets shut down research too.
    I'm wondering what the military will be protecting in another 50 years when we have no food or clean water to drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I'm wondering what the military will be protecting in another 50 years when we have no food or clean water to drink?
    They'll be protecting the last bastion of food and clean water for the 1%.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast