Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab fishing at local SoCal Piers - questions!

1. Default Crab fishing at local SoCal Piers - questions!

Hi all,

As the spiny lobster season has closed, I am interested in trying to catch crab at local piers here in SoCal.
    I have several simple hoop net devices - I'm planning to add some bait (any recommendations? raw shrimp? chicken) and lower them off the pier.

I also have crap snare - looks like this: https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p...2_ecom_PLA_453
    I'm not sure if this is legal in SoCal - any thoughts? It's not a trap - at least it doesn't actively trap anything unless you reel it in correctly, more similar to a hoop net. That being said, I'm not interested in risking any tickets.
    [edit - it looks like it would be illegal in SoCal: "(d) Crab loop traps may have up to six loops.
    (e) Crab trap areas: Crab traps, including crab
    loop traps, may be used north of Point Arguello,
    Santa Barbara County to take all species of
    crabs (see regulations for take of Dungeness
    crabs in traps from commercial passenger"]

I'm interested in trying Balboa, San Clemente, Newport piers - any others?
    How much line do I likely need?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 03-22-2018 at 08:16 PM.

there regulations can be confusing at times but crab snares are ILLEGAL in Socal

Can’t wait to see some reports on how you do,don’t see many reports on crabbing from the piers,and as said snares are illegal for sure!

Cya Tuna Vic

Hello Carpangler dude. I have not fished for crab these past few years, but I used to several times per year, mostly in the winter. I do recommend Newport Pier or Balboa Pier for crabbing. Those are the places where we caught crab at the highest rates -- never any lobsters (which are out of season now as you say, anyway), but several types of crab including various rock crab, Sheep Crab (AKA Spider Crab) and Xantu's Swimming Crab, plus Kelp Crab and some kind of white, unidentified crab. Sometimes, we could see crabs walking around on the bottom in the shallows, in the clear water. I did go to Balboa a couple months ago on a nonfishing outing, and there was no action happening there at the time, but I think there have been lots of crabs around there at times.

Yes, snares are illegal south of Point Arguello, so we always use our one hoop net and also fish at the same time. For bait, we would usually chop a few holes in any Jacksmelt or Mackerel that we caught and put it in the net, or alternatively, collect some mussels, crush them, and put them in the bait pouch. Either of those approaches worked well.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Hello Carpangler dude. I have not fished for crab these past few years, but I used to several times per year, mostly in the winter. I do recommend Newport Pier or Balboa Pier for crabbing. Those are the places where we caught crab at the highest rates -- never any lobsters (which are out of season now as you say, anyway), but several types of crab including various rock crab, Sheep Crab (AKA Spider Crab) and Xantu's Swimming Crab, plus Kelp Crab and some kind of white, unidentified crab. Sometimes, we could see crabs walking around on the bottom in the shallows, in the clear water. I did go to Balboa a couple months ago on a nonfishing outing, and there was no action happening there at the time, but I think there have been lots of crabs around there at times.

Yes, snares are illegal south of Point Arguello, so we always use our one hoop net and also fish at the same time. For bait, we would usually chop a few holes in any Jacksmelt or Mackerel that we caught and put it in the net, or alternatively, collect some mussels, crush them, and put them in the bait pouch. Either of those approaches worked well.
    Thank you! I will try it out this weekend I hope.

6. Default

Thanks for the tips on crabbing at Balboa. I went today, very nice weather, but didn't get to crab very long.
    What part of the pier do you recommend most for crab -- the deep, far end, or somewhere inbetween?

Thanks!

-- FYI I tried PMing you - but your inbox is full

I have never crabbed at all, but wondering if there are places to try from a boat? I fish Long Beach area mostly. Special rules, gear, anything would be informative.

Did you bring up any crab, Carpanglerdude?

In answer to your question, the best areas for me at either pier were somewhat beyond the place where swells started to become visible, usually about 2/3 of the way to the end of the pier. Even if the water is clear, this is probably too far out to see them on the bottom, but the larger crabs are usually there if they are around the pier. I caught some on the end too, and some close to shore but those were usually smaller crabs like Slender Crab. I caught the most decent size ones around 2/3 of the way out on the right side of either pier, where the current pulls the hoop net a bit under the pier. Don't let the net get too close to the pilings though because the rope could get stuck on one of them (the mussels and all) and it takes a lot of pulling to free it. I did accidentally bring up a few mussels that way and even 2 sea urchins one time though. LOL

I have also caught several fish in the net, but we are required to put them back so I just lower them back in. One time I caught a colorful, 12 inch Cabezon in the net.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 03-25-2018 at 05:33 PM.

9. Default

In answer to your question, the best areas for me at either pier were somewhat beyond the place where swells started to become visible, usually about 2/3 of the way to the end of the pier. Even if the water is clear, this is probably too far out to see them on the bottom, but the larger crabs are usually there if they are around the pier. I caught some on the end too, and some close to shore but those were usually smaller crabs like Slender Crab. I caught the most decent size ones around 2/3 of the way out on the right side of either pier, where the current pulls the hoop net a bit under the pier. Don't let the net get too close to the pilings though because the rope could get stuck on one of them (the mussels and all) and it takes a lot of pulling to free it. I did accidentally bring up a few mussels that way and even 2 sea urchins one time though. LOL

I have also caught several fish in the net, but we are required to put them back so I just lower them back in. One time I caught a colorful, 12 inch Cabezon in the net.
    Thanks NF!

Nope, not even one. I was only midway on the pier. Water was a bit choppy. I will try again.

10. Default

Update! Thanks for the tips. I tried chicken this time. Very slow but I managed to catch two small crab, threw both back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast