Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spawners and snaggers

reminds me of the guy who caught the 25lb largemouth but it was foul hooked on her head so it didnt count for the record then they went everyday to try to catch her again but she died. truthfully its not illegal to take a bed fish. though if they do snag it with a treble its illegal but gonna be hard to prove that they just werent trying to catch it. spawn fish tend to get foul hooked esp during season because sometimes they wont bite and will just swipe at baits ect. im pretty sure that law is mainly for people that would take those hooks like you see them using for alligators and using them in lakes ect. like if they just tied a treble hook on the line and no bait ect that is illegal if it is on a lure then thats the grey part. harder to prove intent. ps also people cant outfish a lake so its not as bad as you think. your camera is your friend if you really want to report people then catch them in the act on film. then call and find out who needs to see it. if its people with a license then they can lose out on license privilege. a lot is ignorance though and just telling people its illegal will stop them from doing it on the spot and in the future. but just tell them in a nice way and not a dick way.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 03-24-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Yeah, like I said, some put a white plastic worm on their big *** treble hooks to be safe. I've seen others just use a large bronze treble hook put out underhand in the nest, then they wait for the big female to swim over the hook, then they set the hook and bring in the 6 pound female bass full of eggs. Put her in the ice box and drive home to feed the family... It really makes me mad..

Today I was at Pond Park in Murr, when leaving some guys showed up with buckets. It is catch and release only and no live bait fishing. I always wonder what the buckets are for.

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    reminds me of the guy who caught the 25lb largemouth but it was foul hooked on her head so it didnt count for the record then they went everyday to try to catch her again but she died. truthfully its not illegal to take a bed fish. though if they do snag it with a treble its illegal but gonna be hard to prove that they just werent trying to catch it. spawn fish tend to get foul hooked esp during season because sometimes they wont bite and will just swipe at baits ect. im pretty sure that law is mainly for people that would take those hooks like you see them using for alligators and using them in lakes ect. like if they just tied a treble hook on the line and no bait ect that is illegal if it is on a lure then thats the grey part. harder to prove intent. ps also people cant outfish a lake so its not as bad as you think. your camera is your friend if you really want to report people then catch them in the act on film. then call and find out who needs to see it. if its people with a license then they can lose out on license privilege. a lot is ignorance though and just telling people its illegal will stop them from doing it on the spot and in the future. but just tell them in a nice way and not a dick way.
    The funny part about the people who were after Dottie, the #25 LMB they fouled hooked. They can still claim the record when she was caught before at a lesser weight, then the 25 pounds she topped out at.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    I always wonder what the buckets are for.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Yea, better than a lawn chair!

I am not an avid bass fisherman but I totally understand the draw. What I do not understand is 1) why is bed fishing even allowed at all and 2) because of the vulnerability of spawning fish, why is the fishing season not totally closed during the spawn? A potential world-record bass would have to be a female ready to spawn so wouldn't you want those genetics in her fry?

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    What I do not understand is 1) why is bed fishing even allowed at all and 2) because of the vulnerability of spawning fish, why is the fishing season not totally closed during the spawn?
    With the, lack of resources available to our DFG, managing any type of 'closure' during the spawning season would be an unneeded headache.

When will the closures occur? Would they be statewide? Big Bear and Silverwood bass tend to spawn later than some of the lakes in lower elevations. Would they have to adjust to each lake? Do you close the entire lake for fishing? Or do you close the lake for bass fishing? Can't I say that I was using a jig to try to catch a striper and I had an inadvertent largemouth inhale my bait? What if the fish is not on a bed? How can you tell if a fish is on a bed? Who's gonna enforce all these regulations?

Now, the bare minimum can be done, much like they did at Castaic (don't know if they even do this anymore) where they would buoy off select coves, which would prevent any boat access (but what about shore anglers?) Perhaps that's an idea that can be expanded to other lakes, but that would require time and personnel (read: money,) something that our DFG may not be rolling in right now.

Plus, you can also say that the Spring is probably one of the seasons where the outdoor industry in SoCal gets a big boost of revenue from anglers who go out to seek these fish during this time. I don't know how many of them would take to having a closed season.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    They have the green fishing pier or bridge thing all closed off to people. There wasn't anyone there to ask what that was all about. Maybe they are going to paint it..
    Drove by today on the why home from my eye doctor visit and see that they are almost done working on the green bridge with lots of new wood replacement its looking good. Also they just started towing out hundreds big beach ball like things for some art project, the lake is just full of them and will be their for three weeks they say. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAB_7130.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	51051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAB_7142.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	51052

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    I am not an avid bass fisherman but I totally understand the draw. What I do not understand is 1) why is bed fishing even allowed at all and 2) because of the vulnerability of spawning fish, why is the fishing season not totally closed during the spawn? A potential world-record bass would have to be a female ready to spawn so wouldn't you want those genetics in her fry?
    i dont know about what darkshadow is saying but i do know bass fishing is a multi billion dollar industry in america.. the thing is the largemouth bass arent threatened in any way in any water that i know of. in fact in cali at the lake i fish all the bass were planted very early when the dam was launched in the 70s and have been thriving since. even with new species being introduced striper and smallmouth. some say the fishing is dead compared to the early catch and release days i say catch and release has ruined fisheries and you can track it yourself the fish are all still there they are just all 100xs smarter then 40 years ago. the dinks have been caught tons esp on pressured lakes by the time they hit 20 inches good luck. buy all new lures the bass have never seen is the best bet but then you are always spending cash.. but it can pay off. its why they always make more and more lures now. and why it takes 10 reties or 10 diff lures to trigger a bite. oh and if you want to check the top 25 largemouth ever caught there is prob only a few if that, that were caught outside of the spawn.. now you know why its not illegal if they take away the spawn the full lot of sport fishermen for largemouth are going to be very pissed.

now on the main post: to me poaching is the worst offense to kill a animal and just leave it dead on the road for nothing. if someone kill it illegally to eat idk that to me is harder to condemn. a lot of people i see doing illegal things at my lake isnt because they are bad people its more of a ignorance thing. to me im not gonna call the cops and report them but i will mention that if they get caught they will be paying big fines for something petty. like keeping too small of fish ect. to me a lot of times they just dont know.. its like net fishing from the banks most the time you will see someone doing it they are foreigner and they can do it where they came from and dont know its illegal here. also when i approach them i do it friendly like i know them not in a negative manner talking **** ect. then you can at least get a feeling for who you are dealing with. if its someone shady then do what you gotta do. i would protect where i fish and its a big fishery.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 05-08-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12