Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SARL Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingangler View Post
    Agree with Nuoc Mam's post (right on)! This year the trout have been biting on a variety of things at the same time: powerbait (garlic, orange, garlic rainbow, salmon peach), micetail (orange worm with white head as well as the pink worm with white head), white plastic worms (e.g., Berkeley 3"), and minijigs (white). Check the chalk board outside the tackle shop for their post of what's working. Best day is Friday and location is to the right of the boat launch ramp (almost directly in front of the pay booth). You're allowed two poles/person. Start with powerbait on one and a micetail on another. Adjust to what they bite (you will be close to the tackle shop so if you don't have what they are biting such as night crawlers you can probably buy it from the sop). Change if necessary to what others are getting bit. Short 6-8" leader if the water is muddy/stained or 18" if not muddy/stained. One pole out short (10-15") one long until you find the sweet spot - tend to be close to shore in the morning until 10am and again around 3pm. For rigging 1) weight: use either a #5 split shot (directly on your line 2 lb with a light drag) or a 1/8 to 1/4oz sliding sinker (tied before a swivel that goes to your leader); 2) hook - treble size 18 for powerbait (roll into a worm shape that entirely covers the small 18 size hook) and a size 8 light wire J hook for micetail or worm); scent - any garlic (I use Bite-On). Get there early to find a spot. You may see a group I call the Dilly Boys who are good fisherman. Don't be afraid to ask them for help if needed. They are friendly. Hope you catch them.
    Thank you! Very, very helpful! Sounds like it will be a good day of fishing for me!

My vote is Friday as well. If you watch the videos made by the trout hatchery people who supply SARL, you'll learn that they do not feed the fish for a few days before shipping them so the water in the truck stays cleaner. They arrive hungry and the less chance they have to feed before seeing your bait, the better.

When the bait is just sitting there, trout have plenty of time to check it out before they decide to bite and smell matters. Even if your bait is garlic scented, as soon as you touch it, you've added your smell to the mix. By dipping it in garlic after handling it, you cover your smell.

Don't expect to just show up and catch fish. Lots of people get skunked at SARL. You've got to be on your game and you've got to think ultralight. I use a 2 lb leader and would never go higher than 4 lb.

As others have said, check the board for recommended baits or ask in the bait shop. The folks there want you to catch fish and they will give you the straight dope on what's working.

Also, don't forget that fluorocarbon line sinks, so if you're using fluorocarbon leader, be sure to check your bait in the water before you cast out to make sure it really is floating. For mice tails, I use mono leader because they don't float by much and even the slight weight of the leader can sink them. Bright colors seem to work best.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    My vote is Friday as well. If you watch the videos made by the trout hatchery people who supply SARL, you'll learn that they do not feed the fish for a few days before shipping them so the water in the truck stays cleaner. They arrive hungry and the less chance they have to feed before seeing your bait, the better.

When the bait is just sitting there, trout have plenty of time to check it out before they decide to bite and smell matters. Even if your bait is garlic scented, as soon as you touch it, you've added your smell to the mix. By dipping it in garlic after handling it, you cover your smell.

Don't expect to just show up and catch fish. Lots of people get skunked at SARL. You've got to be on your game and you've got to think ultralight. I use a 2 lb leader and would never go higher than 4 lb.

As others have said, check the board for recommended baits or ask in the bait shop. The folks there want you to catch fish and they will give you the straight dope on what's working.

Also, don't forget that fluorocarbon line sinks, so if you're using fluorocarbon leader, be sure to check your bait in the water before you cast out to make sure it really is floating. For mice tails, I use mono leader because they don't float by much and even the slight weight of the leader can sink them. Bright colors seem to work best.

Good luck!
    Sounds goods! I will definitely get the Trout Dip then. I have my reels spooled up with P-Line CXX 2 pound test Moss Green

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal_Fishing View Post
    Sounds good brotha! You think there would still be plentiful schools of trout on Monday? With all the people fishing the weekend... I might go on Friday. I am 16 and have Friday off while most adults still have work. I think that would be a good day. I am open to Monday as well. Thanks for your tips!
    Friday's are probably the best day because the fish went in Thursday morning and with the lake being closed all day, they have acclimated to the water. They will be hungry and will bite until all those people spook them. Those who can, fish Friday and if you can, it would not be a bad choice. Just get there early, 4:00 is not too early to get a good spot. Weekend crowds are large and will spook the trout even more. Fish will be caught, for sure, and maybe a few limits. My suggestion of fishing Monday is because 1), the crowd will be much lighter and there will be breathing room and a chance to move around a little and 2), the fish have been off feed for several days and are a getting hungry.
    Good luck, have a great time, whack a moose and be sure to post up a report!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12